Seahawks backup QB Trevone Boykin pleaded guilty Thursday to resisting arrest, resolving an incident that occurred on Dec. 31.

Share story

Seahawks rookie quarterback Trevone Boykin pleaded guilty Thursday to a misdemeanor charge of resisting arrest in Bexar County (Texas) Court, resolving an incident that occurred Dec. 31 in San Antonio.

Boykin was fined $1,500 plus $237 in court costs and given one year of probation. He will also serve 80 hours of community service and take alcohol awareness and anger management courses while also writing a letter of apology to the arresting officer. If Boykin fulfills the terms then the charge will be stricken from his record after a year.

Boykin’s agent, Drew Pittman, said Thursday that Boykin is fulfilling many of the community hours now, though Boykin will also be allowed to serve some of the hours in Seattle, and that none of the penalties will impact Boykin’s availability for Seahawks’ training camp, which begins July 30.

Boykin had been officially charged with assault on Tuesday but Pittman had said then that a plea deal was in the works.

Most Read Sports Stories

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks.

“Just as I said two days ago, an agreement was in place and it was finalized today,” Pittman said.

According to multiple reports following the incident, Boykin was arrested after being thrown out of a bar, and then he allegedly struck a police officer.

The Seahawks signed Boykin as a free agent shortly after the NFL draft, and he has emerged as a leading candidate to back up starter Russell Wilson. Those odds increased when Tarvaris Jackson was arrested Friday for allegedly pulling a gun on a woman reported to be his wife. Jackson has been the Seahawks’ backup QB the past three years, but is a free agent and not expected to re-sign with the Seahawks for 2016.

The Seahawks also have former Skyline High School standout quarterback Jake Heaps on the roster. Boykin and Heaps are the only quarterbacks on the roster behind Wilson.

In May, Boykin told reporters that he knew the incident likely led to him not being drafted and that he had hoped to learn from it.
“It probably had some effect, but like I said I’ve moved forward, pushed past it and surrounded myself with better people,” he said. “I’m doing better things and I’m excited for Coach (Pete) Carroll to call me and bless me with this opportunity.”

“I’ve learned a lot through the process, and the main thing is just being positive and doing the right things. That’s what Coach Carroll preaches. If you’re going to be a Seahawk, you be a Seahawk 24/7, and that’s what I’m going to do.”

Seattle general manager John Schneider also said in an appearance on 710 ESPN Seattle in May that the incident likely led to Boykin going undrafted.

“In terms of getting in the book, being a pro and studying, those are things he’s going to need to prove to all of us over the next several weeks here as we evaluate him as a pro in the building,” Schneider said. ” … This guy has a lot of just pure talent. If he wouldn’t have had his incident I think we all agree he would have been taken much higher.”

Boykin was suspended for TCU’s appearance against Oregon in the Alamo Bowl on Jan. 2 as a result of the incident.

Boykin initially had faced a charge of assault on a public servant, a third-degree felony that carries a minimum of two years and a maximum of 10 years in prison.

The incident occurred at Pat O’Brien’s bar, and Boykin was alleged to have fought employees as they attempted to throw him out, and then he allegedly struck an officer outside the bar.

Later in a news conference, San Antonio police chief William McManus said the incident began when Boykin was recognized and heckled by other patrons.

McManus said a bike officer was struck by Boykin during the incident, perhaps inadvertently.

“Clearly this was not an appropriate way to act,” McManus said then. “He was being heckled, and he responded to it, unfortunately.”

At TCU, Boykin passed for 10,728 and had 12,777 yards of total offense, each school career records.