The Seahawks on Wednesday secured some defensive line depth when Quinton Jefferson signed his tender as an exclusive rights free agent.
In what is essentially a formality, Seahawks defensive lineman Quinton Jefferson signed his exclusive rights tender with Seattle on Wednesday.
Jefferson was one of five ERFAs the team tendered last March and the first to sign. When an ERFA is tendered it means the player either signs his contract with the team that tendered him or he doesn’t play. The others tendered are defensive lineman Branden Jackson, snapper Tyler Ott, center Joey Hunt and running back J.D. McKissic. All would be expected to sign soon, with all receiving a one-year non-guaranteed deal worth $630,000.
Jefferson, a fifth-round pick in 2016, was waived before the start of last season and was briefly with the Rams before returning to the Seahawks following Cliff Avril’s injury. He played in six games with seven tackles and a sack.
His signing gives Seattle 10 defensive linemen currently under contract — ends Marcus Smith, Frank Clark, Avril and Noble Nwachukwu and tackles Jefferson, Tom Johnson, Shamar Stephen, Jarren Reed, Nazair Jones and Malik McDowell.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Since announcing its team name, the Seattle Kraken has made monster sales. Here's why. VIEW
- Pete Carroll: Conscience of players, coaches serves as bubble for Seahawks' COVID-19 prevention
- How will the Seahawks use Marquise Blair and Jordyn Brooks this season? Pete Carroll has ideas
- The top 5 things we learned from Seahawks coach Pete Carroll's Monday news conference
- Seahawks mailbag: Is there a deadline for a Jadeveon Clowney decision?
Jackson will also likely soon sign and be 100 percent in the fold — for all practical purposes. Seattle also gave restricted free agent Dion Jordan an original round tender, meaning any team that would want to sign him would have to give the Seahawks a first-round pick as compensation. That also means Jordan will undoubtedly be with the team in 2018.
But he has yet to sign his tender as teams can sign restricted free agents to offer sheets until April 20.