Bevell spent seven seasons as Seattle's offensive coordinator from 2011-17 and infamously called for a pass at the 1-yard line in the final minute of the Super Bowl at the end of the 2013 season.
ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) — Darrell Bevell and Matt Patricia crossed paths in one of the most famous plays in Super Bowl history.
Now, they’ll coach on the same staff.
The Lions hired Bevell as their new offensive coordinator in a move Detroit hopes will help the team rebound after a disappointing year. Bevell spent seven seasons as Seattle’s offensive coordinator from 2011-17 and was part of a Super Bowl winner with the Seahawks. Prior to joining the Seahawks, he was Minnesota’s offensive coordinator for five seasons and a quarterbacks coach for Green Bay.
Although Bevell was part of a victory in the Super Bowl after the 2013 season, he also infamously called for a pass at the 1-yard line in the final minute of the following year’s Super Bowl. Malcolm Butler of New England intercepted it , costing Seattle a chance at a second straight title.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Analysis: Does Russell Wilson really want to leave the Seahawks for the New York Giants?
- 'The future of basketball' plays at Federal Way High School. His name is Jaden McDaniels.
- 'I'm in a way better spot': Back with Mariners on minor-league deal, Dustin Ackley is hopeful, and realistic | Larry Stone
- The Huskies have returned to prominence in the Pac-12, and so has the roar on Montlake
- Michael Dickson the answer at punter, but Seahawks still facing a question mark at kicker heading into 2019
Patricia, who was the defensive coordinator for the Patriots in that game, is now Detroit’s head coach.
The Lions went 6-10 this season, their first under Patricia, and they decided not to renew offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter’s contract. Cooter was a holdover from Jim Caldwell’s staff.
Only two teams in the NFC scored fewer points than Detroit’s 324 this season. Quarterback Matthew Stafford fell short of 4,000 yards passing for the first time since his injury-filled 2010 campaign.
Bevell was fired by Seattle in a coaching shakeup following the 2017 season, after the Seahawks went 9-7 and missed the playoffs.
For more NFL coverage: http://www.pro32.ap.org and http://www.twitter.com/AP_NFL