Moore signs with Lions
DETROIT — Boise State and Prosser High School standout quarterback Kellen Moore has agreed to a free-agent deal with Detroit, giving the Lions someone to develop behind starter Matthew Stafford and backup Shaun Hill.
Moore won 50 games in college, a Football Bowl Subdivision record for a starting quarterback, but wasn’t among the 253 players taken in the draft.
“Very frustrating process, but a great outcome in the end,” Moore told The Idaho Statesman. “Going into it, you felt very comfortable and confident that you’d get an opportunity to get drafted. Bottom line is it didn’t happen. But it’s kind of funny you end up where you’d love to go in the first place.”
Moore, who completed nearly 74 percent of his passes last year, finished his career among the NCAA eaders with 14,667 yards passing and 142 TDs. But the 6-foot, 197-pounder knew many questioned his future because of his height and a perceived lack of arm strength.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Mike Leach's tweet of doctored Obama video cost WSU $1.6 million in donations
- Seahawks center Justin Britt has not been happy with the officiating. Here's why.
- Pullman police video shows officer using Taser on former WSU football player WATCH
- Three impressions from the Seahawks' comeback win over the Green Bay Packers
- What the national media are saying about the Seahawks' 27-24 win over Green Bay
“I don’t think there will probably be a more motivated quarterback,” he said.
• Colt McCoy returned to work with the Browns not knowing how much longer he’ll have a job. McCoy participated in the voluntary offseason conditioning program just days after Cleveland drafted his likely successor, Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden.
• Randy Moss made his debut at the 49ers’ offseason workouts. It was closed to the media, but Moss did speak to the team’s website. “It was eye-opening,” he said. “Today was the first day, and we were moving so fast. Today felt like we’d been out here for a week or two.”
• The Chargers have agreed to a one-year contract with offensive lineman Rex Hadnot, who started all 16 games at right guard for Arizona last season.
• Washington signed free-agent linebacker Jonathan Goff, who played three seasons with the Giants before missing last year with a knee injury.
• Record-setting University of Houston quarterback Case Keenum says he plans to sign with the Texans. Keenum finished his career as the FBS’s career leader in yards passing (19,217) and touchdown passes (155).
• Bills receiver Stevie Johnson is scheduled to have what is described as “very minor” surgery to repair a groin injury.
• Former University of Tennessee quarterback Matt Simms, the son of former Giants star Phil Simms, is among 23 players invited by the Jets for a tryout.
• The Raiders are bringing in quarterback Jim Sorgi for a tryout. Sorgi spent six years in Indianapolis as Peyton Manning‘s backup.