Dallas acquires Cassel from Buffalo, also promotes former Prosser High and Boise State standout Kellen Moore from practice squad.
IRVING, Texas — Matt Cassel is headed to Dallas in a trade as the Cowboys try to bolster their depth at quarterback while Tony Romo is sidelined at least seven games because of a broken left collarbone.
The Cowboys acquired Cassel from Buffalo on Tuesday, sending a fifth-round pick in 2017 to the Bills and getting their seventh-round pick that year.
Both teams announced the trade, and a person familiar with the deal told The Associated Press what Buffalo received in return because the round of the pick wasn’t disclosed.
Brandon Weeden is expected to start Sunday at home against Arizona (2-0), but Cassel is a veteran with far more experience than the fourth-year pro.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Seahawks mailbag: Is Jadeveon Clowney still on Seattle's radar? And which veteran could be a cap casualty?
- The year of the decommit? How a football recruiting cycle altered by the coronavirus pandemic could affect UW
- Golf is back from the coronavirus shutdown, but Seattle tennis courts remain closed. Why?
- Mariners will pay minor-leaguers through 2020 season, but coronavirus shutdown forces other reductions
- Analysis: Making the case for the Pac-12 playing football in the fall
Cassel has 71 starts in 90 games over 11 seasons, not counting the opener this year when he took the first snap for the Bills with Tyrod Taylor lined up at receiver.
The Cowboys traded for the 33-year-old Cassel a few hours after putting Romo on the injured list with a designation to return.
The first possible game Romo, who was injured in last weekend’s 20-10 win at Philadelphia, is Nov. 22 at Miami. He can practice again in six weeks, starting Nov. 4.
Dallas is also bringing up quarterback Kellen Moore, the former Prosser High and Boise State quarterback, from the practice squad, NFL.com reported.
Moore was signed by the Cowboys in early September. He was cut by the Lions immediately following an exhibition loss in which he was 29 of 47 for 254 yards, one touchdown and one interception.
Moore will act as the Cowboys’ insurance at quarterback in the worst-case scenario that Weeden goes down with an injury before Romo can return from his clavicle injury. Moore played three seasons as a backup to Matthew Stafford in Detroit, but never saw the field in the regular season.
Dallas (2-0) also put defensive tackle Terrell McClain on season-ending injured reserve Tuesday with a toe injury suffered last weekend against the Eagles
• Tampa Bay tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins, the former UW standout, has a strained right shoulder and is expected to miss 4-6 weeks. The second-year pro from Washington leads Tampa Bay with seven catches for 139 yards (19.9 yard avg.) and two touchdowns.
Tampa Bay coach Lovie Smith did not give any details of the injury during his news conference Monday. But Seferian-Jenkins is expected to seek a second medical opinion.
Injuries are nothing new to Seferian-Jenkins, who missed seven games as a rookie with ankle and back problems.
• New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees has a bruised rotator cuff but no tear, sources told ESPN. Brees said there is a “reasonable possibility’’ he can play Sunday against Carolina, according to a source, ESPN reported.
• New York Jets wide receiver Eric Decker has a sprained knee, although coach Todd Bowles is “hopeful” he might be healthy enough to play the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday. An MRI on Tuesday revealed the sprain as the wide receiver avoided a potentially serious injury. Decker had eight catches for 97 yards and a touchdown before leaving the game in the second half.
Also, Bowles reiterated Tuesday that Ryan Fitzpatrick will remain his starting quarterback, even after Geno Smith returns from injury.
• The Jacksonville Jaguars have placed rookie receiver Rashad Greene on short-term injured reserve and re-signed receiver Bryan Walters.
• The New York Giants have released wide receiver Preston Parker and signed defensive tackle Kenrick Ellis.
Parker had five catches for 43 yards in the first two games, but he also had a couple of drops.