The Seahawks will get a visit from former Carolina defensive end Greg Hardy, according to at least two reports.

Share story

The Seahawks, through a spokesman, said this morning there are no plans for a visit by free agent defensive end Greg Hardy, despite several reports stating that the former Carolina Panther could be coming to Seattle soon as he attempts to find a new team.

A league source had also confirmed to the Times that Hardy has plans to visit Seattle.

However, the Seahawks say they are just doing their “due diligence” in exploring options with Hardy and that there is no visit scheduled.

And any visit by Hardy would be contingent on him not signing a contract with Dallas after spending Tuesday at the Cowboys’ complex.

The Cowboys’ official web site reported Tuesday afternoon that while Hardy did not strike a deal with the team during his visit on Tuesday “it appears negotiations could start in the evening with the possibility of a deal getting struck as early as Wednesday. Hardy is scheduled to remain in the Dallas area until Wednesday with a possible revisit in the morning, which could involve a physical if the negotiations get that far.”

The Cowboys’ web site also reported that “teams such as Tampa Bay and Seattle were also reportedly linked to Hardy as well, although no official visits were lined up as of Tuesday evening. Hardy could be leaving Dallas and flying straight to Seattle if a deal isn’t reached with the Cowboys.”

Hardy’s visit to Dallas was first reported this morning by several outlets that also reported he had plans to visit Seattle, including Pro Football Talk and  Rand Getlin of Yahoo Sports.

Hardy is one of the most-feared pass rushers in the NFL but has been beset by legal issues the past year.

Hardy missed all but one game last season while suspended pending an investigation for domestic assault, and the NFL has yet to say what his punishment will be for the 2015 season (here’s a good breakdown of his last year). He could be suspended for the first six games of the season.

Hardy’s legal issues mean he’s likely to command a lower salary than would usually be the case. He became a free agent after the 2014 season when he had a salary of $13.116 million.

Hardy was convicted by a judge last July of assaulting a female and communicating threats. Those charges were dropped in February when the accuser couldn’t be found.

Any team signing Hardy will have to be braced for some public criticism, such as this that came out of Dallas Monday when reports first surfaced he was negotiating with the Cowboys.

Seattle coach Pete Carroll said last September that the Ray Rice situation had forever changed the way he would evaluate players.

“It will never be the same,” Carroll said. “I have to admit, my awareness is different than it was and will never be the same. Hopefully, we can head off any issue that could come up in the future.”

But Hardy’s football value is obvious — he’s 26 years old and had a team record 15 sacks in 2013, his last full season with the Panthers.

For now, from a strictly football sense, anyway, the story appears to be whether Hardy signs with Dallas or leaves town without becoming a Cowboy.