TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — Jaelan Sanford scored 29 points on 9-of-13 shooting plus going 9 of 9 from the foul line and Toledo beat Cornell 86-70 on Wednesday night.
The Big Red built a 19-8 lead when Jimmy Boeheim converted a 3-point play then followed it up with a 3-pointer. Toledo (10-1) then put together an 18-6 run and took the lead for good on Sanford’s layup 7:30 before halftime. His jump shot three minutes later gave the Rockets their first 10-point lead and they went to intermission up 48-39.
Terrance McBride hit a jumper and Cornell (5-5) got within 51-47 but never drew closer. Nate Navigato’s basket with 11:49 left made it 71-56.
Navigato finished with 17 points, Chris Darrington scored 10 and Willie Jackson grabbed 10 rebounds. Toledo had a 44-22 rebounding edge.
Most Read Sports Stories
- The XFL's Seattle Dragons are born, with a fiery green and red logo to match
- A year ago, he was named the nation's top football recruit. But J.T. Tuimoloau is just getting started.
- After DK Metcalf's surgery, Pete Carroll says there's a chance rookie will be ready for Seahawks opener | Injury updates WATCH
- Seahawk rookie Ugo Amadi says perfect play on punt tackle shows 'I'm not here just to play around'
- Who makes the cut in the first Seattle Times state football rankings of the season?
Matt Morgan led Cornell with 24 points and made all 10 of his foul shot attempts. Josh Warren added 14 points.