TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — Jaelan Sanford scored 29 points on 9-of-13 shooting plus going 9 of 9 from the foul line and Toledo beat Cornell 86-70 on Wednesday night.
The Big Red built a 19-8 lead when Jimmy Boeheim converted a 3-point play then followed it up with a 3-pointer. Toledo (10-1) then put together an 18-6 run and took the lead for good on Sanford’s layup 7:30 before halftime. His jump shot three minutes later gave the Rockets their first 10-point lead and they went to intermission up 48-39.
Terrance McBride hit a jumper and Cornell (5-5) got within 51-47 but never drew closer. Nate Navigato’s basket with 11:49 left made it 71-56.
Navigato finished with 17 points, Chris Darrington scored 10 and Willie Jackson grabbed 10 rebounds. Toledo had a 44-22 rebounding edge.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Seahawks mailbag: Are there reasons to be concerned following Seattle's loss to the Rams?
- UW mailbag: What are fair expectations for Huskies in Jimmy Lake's first season as head coach?
- Five UW Huskies receive All-Pac-12 first team honors
- Rashaad Penny is out for the season, so Seahawks will turn to C.J. Prosise to back up Chris Carson
- Megan Rapinoe is Sports Illustrated's Sportsperson of the Year, only the fourth woman chosen alone
Matt Morgan led Cornell with 24 points and made all 10 of his foul shot attempts. Josh Warren added 14 points.