CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) — Kai Mitchell split a pair of free throws with four seconds left as Sam Houston State edged Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 70-69 on Wednesday night for its 13th straight win.
The Bearkats (17-8, 12-0) remain undefeated atop the Southland Conference. The Islanders (10-14, 5-6) have lost four of their last five games including a pair of one-point defeats.
Chad Bowie’s 3-pointer with 56 seconds left gave the Bearkats a 69-66 lead with 56 seconds left. Jashawn Talton converted a 3-point play to tie it at 69 with 31 seconds to go before Mitchell won it making the second of two free-throw attempts.
Cameron Delaney had 19 points and nine rebounds to lead Sam Houston State. Mitchell, Josh Delaney, and Zach Nutall each added 11 points.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Speculation has started, but here's why it doesn't make sense for Seahawks and Russell Wilson to split
- Despite taking the long road to his dream school, LB transfer Demario King is ready to make an immediate impact at UW
- Seahawks DC candidate list up to 4 as they reportedly request to interview Joe Whitt Jr.
- The MLB lockout hurts everywhere but especially in Seattle where hope has rarely been higher
- Analysis: Jon Wilner projects the 2022 Pac-12 North and South division football races
Talton scored 18 points and grabbed eight rebounds to lead Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. Emmanuel Toney had 12 points.