ROME (AP) — Roma forward Edin Dzeko has been given a two-match Italian Cup ban and fined €10,000 ($11,500) following his dismissal against Fiorentina on Wednesday.
The 32-year-old Dzeko was shown a straight red card in the 72nd minute after arguing with referee Gianluca Manganiello.
Videos and still images of the incident in the Italian Cup quarterfinal appeared to show the Bosnia-Herzegovina international spitting at Manganiello but there was no mention of that in the referee’s report.
Dzeko has been banned “for having protested against a refereeing decision and, having approached the referee with a threatening attitude, used seriously offensive language towards him.”
Most Read Sports Stories
- Seahawks are bringing back LB Bobby Wagner: 'Yeah, I'm home.'
- UW freshman Tyler Linhardt joins growing list of UW men's players entering transfer portal
- Analysis: Four thoughts on Bobby Wagner's return to Seahawks
- Electrifying Caitlin Clark leads Iowa past Colorado in NCAAs for a sneak preview for WNBA fans
- With Drew Timme in foul trouble, UConn men take off in second half, eliminate Gonzaga
The ban will apply to Roma’s Italian Cup matches next season as the capital club lost 7-1 at Fiorentina.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports