ROME (AP) — Roma forward Edin Dzeko has been given a two-match Italian Cup ban and fined €10,000 ($11,500) following his dismissal against Fiorentina on Wednesday.
The 32-year-old Dzeko was shown a straight red card in the 72nd minute after arguing with referee Gianluca Manganiello.
Videos and still images of the incident in the Italian Cup quarterfinal appeared to show the Bosnia-Herzegovina international spitting at Manganiello but there was no mention of that in the referee’s report.
Dzeko has been banned “for having protested against a refereeing decision and, having approached the referee with a threatening attitude, used seriously offensive language towards him.”
Most Read Sports Stories
- New UW Huskies football coach Kalen DeBoer has already earned his first win
- Seattle is getting a minor-league soccer team. Here's how Ballard FC went from vision to reality.
- Despite report he's transferring back to Washington, Fresno State QB Jake Haener says he remains uncommitted
- Here's how UW coach Kalen DeBoer plans to win recruiting battles: 'We've got to be relentless in everything we do'
- Report: Cade, Jack Beresford plan to transfer from Washington State football
The ban will apply to Roma’s Italian Cup matches next season as the capital club lost 7-1 at Fiorentina.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports