The organization is celebrating its golden anniversary by honoring the most decorated soccer players to have come from its ranks.
World Cup winners Michelle Akers and Hope Solo were among the 18 players honored by Washington Youth Soccer on Wednesday in a release of the top female soccer players of the organization’s 50th-year existence.
Akers and Solo — the former one of the most decorated U.S. women’s national team forwards, the latter its most successful goalkeeper — have combined for 350 USWNT appearances, 105 goals and 100 shutouts. But they’re far from the only familiar names on a list that ranges from players born in the early 1960s through the late ’80s.
Sharon McMurtry, the oldest player selected, was considered one of the top American players of her generation — and such an early pioneer that Inglemoor High didn’t even have a girls’ soccer team until her season year. Kate Deines, the bookend at the other end of the spectrum, played professionally for the Seattle Sounders women and the NWSL’s Reign before announcing her retirement at age 25 last year.
Below is the full list as selected by Washington Youth Soccer, with the men’s team due out tomorrow:
Most Read Sports Stories
- How David Moore and Tyler Lockett's Canadian onesies illustrate the Pete Carroll culture
- Seahawks coach Pete Carroll on Chris Petersen's decision to step down: 'I couldn't applaud it more' WATCH
- Lake's Washington: What's next for soon-to-be UW head football coach Jimmy Lake? WATCH
- Seahawks' New Edition touchdown dance, and Russell Wilson as Baby Yoda, nearly steal the show during Monday Night Football vs. Vikings WATCH
- Chris Petersen’s resignation was stunning, but there are hints at why he decided to walk away from UW | Larry Stone WATCH
Player/Birth Year/Hometown/High School/College
Michelle Akers/1966/Shoreline/Shorecrest/Central Florida
Amy Allmann Griffin/1965/Federal Way/Decatur/Central Florida
Justi Baumgardt Yamada/1975/Federal Way/Federal Way/Portland
Tami Bennett Nguyen/1979/Kent/Sea. Christian/Washington
Gina Cassella Segadelli/1966/Mukilteo/Mariner/UC Santa Barbara
Meotis Erikson/1979/Kennewick/Kamiakin/Notre Dame
Tina Frimpong Ellertson/1982/Vancouver/Hudson’s Bay/Washington
Gretchen Gegg Zigante/1964/Tacoma/Bellarmine/North Carolina
Cindy Gordon/1962/Des Moines/Mt. Rainier/Western Wash.
Lori Henry/1966/Seattle/Shoreline/North Carolina
Shannon Higgins Cirovski/1968/Kent/Mt. Rainier/North Carolina
Sharon McMurtry/1960/Bothell/Inglemoor/Seattle University
Katherine Reynolds/1987/Medina/Univ. Prep/Santa Clara
Kim Stiles Calkins/1977/Spokane/Mead/Portland