Megan Rapinoe scored on a penalty kick in the sixth minute, and the Seattle Reign made it stand up to beat Sky Blue FC 1-0.
Megan Rapinoe scored on a penalty kick in the sixth minute, and the Seattle Reign made it stand up to beat Sky Blue FC 1-0 on Sunday in rainy Piscataway, N.J.
The win improved the Reign to 2-0-0.
Rapinoe’s second goal of the season game after Sky Blue defender Erica Skroski was called for a handball in the box.
It was the first home game for U.S. national team star Carli Lloyd, who plays for Sky Blue (0-2-0).
Most Read Sports Stories
- Expect the Mariners to be trade-deadline buyers. So, who are potential targets?
- UW Huskies fall preview: Byron Murphy, Taylor Rapp and one of the nation's top secondaries
- Ranking the Seahawks’ roster: Where does Shaquem Griffin and his competition make our list?
- UW Huskies fall preview: What kind of impact can five-star LB Ale Kaho make?
- Mariners get back on the winning track after All-Star break
Seattle had a chance to add a second goal in the 86th minute, but Jodie Taylor couldn’t convert a penalty kick.
The Reign stay on the road and will play the North Carolina Courage on Wednesday.