MADRID (AP) — Rayo Vallecano defeated Alaves 1-0 on Monday to leave the Spanish league’s relegation zone for the first time.
Raul de Tomas scored with a header early in the second half to give Rayo its fourth win in its last five league matches.
The result moved Rayo to 17th in the standings, two points clear of the bottom three teams.
Celta Vigo entered the demotion zone, above Villarreal and Huesca.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Mariners playoff times announced for wild-card series in Toronto
- M's sweep Tigers in doubleheader, set playoff date at Toronto
- Mariners history quiz: Test your knowledge of Seattle's playoff drought
- UW men's basketball team lands four-star 2023 recruit Wesley Yates III
- Marco Gonzales goes 7 innings, Ty France hits walk-off single for win in Mariners' regular-season finale
Playing in the first division for the first time since the 2015-16 season, Rayo had been among the bottom three since the first round.
It was the first league loss at home for Alaves. It stayed fifth in the standings, four points behind fourth-placed Sevilla.
Barcelona has a five-point lead over Atletico Madrid.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports