Looks like somebody’s fantasy-league receiver will be taking Week 6 off.
And all because one of Bronco QB Peyton Manning’s aerial targets didn’t show the proper reverence after Manning threw his 500th career touchdown pass on Sunday.
“Somebody asked me if, for my (very) first one, ‘Did we wear leather helmets?’ ” Manning told reporters after the game. “So that was a nice free cheap shot there.
“I wouldn’t start that guy on your fantasy team next week. He’s not going to get a lot of balls next week. I’ll leave him nameless.”
Most Read Sports Stories
- Garfield High star Dalayah Daniels set to make impact after transferring home to UW
- Pac-12 survival guide: Five forces that will define the path to salvation, or extinction
- Mariners offense comes alive to support strong effort by Chris Flexen in 8-2 pounding of Padres
- Pac-12 mailbag: Kliavkoff’s culpability, expansion options, WSU's connections and more
- At midpoint of year, Mariners are showing their season is half-full
• At Fark.com: “Percy Harvin has TD nullified by penalty. Percy Harvin has TD nullified by penalty. Percy Harvin has TD nullified by penalty.”
• At SportsPickle.com: “MLB honors Paul Konerko’s career by mailing him a $20 Amazon gift card.”
Here, kitty, kitty
Retired Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter, during a Twitter Q&A, let slip that he’s afraid of cats.
Try telling that to two decades’ worth of Tiger pitchers: He hit .324 against them.
And, just when you thought the world had reached its hall-of-fame limit …
Hanzo, a 6-year-old boxer, and two other legendary board-riding canines had their paw prints embedded in concrete as the inaugural inductees into the International Surf Dog Walk of Fame in Huntington Beach, Calif.
Caroline Wozniacki packed up her belongings and left after finishing second at this year’s U.S. Open, but inadvertently left her purse behind.
No, not her Gucci handbag — the check for her $1.45 million prize.
• Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, on boxer Manny Pacquiao getting drafted by a Philippine basketball team: “There’s one bench-clearing brawl I wouldn’t mind seeing.”
• NBC’s Jimmy Fallon, on the Giants needing 18 innings and 6½ hours to beat the Nationals: “Proving that even in sports, it takes forever to get something done in Washington.”
• TBS’s Conan O’Brien, after the NFL filmed a public-service ad warning women about breast cancer: “Then they filmed a PSA warning women about the NFL.”
• Bob Molinaro of the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot, after the Knicks’ Carmelo Anthony declared himself “the most underrated superstar that’s out there”: “And the most modest.”
Jets QB Geno Smith missed a team meeting the night before Sunday’s 31-0 loss to the Chargers.
Apparently it was the one in which they installed the touchdown plays.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org