Tres Borrachos, a multiple-graded stakes winner from California, highlights a strong field of six entered to run in Sunday’s Mt. Rainier Handicap at Auburn’s Emerald Downs.
16 -mile race is the final major prep for the $200,000 Longacres Mile, the most prestigious horse race in the Northwest, which will be held Aug. 18.
That race is certainly on the agenda for Tres Borrachos, an 8-year-old gelding. He has won just five of 47 career starts, but has earned $1.029 million and had two strong races this spring at Santa Anita in Arcadia, Calif.
Leading the local contingent is Jebrica, winner of last month’s Budweiser Handicap while beating Stryker Phd and Winning Machine, who are also scheduled to run in Sunday’s race.
Most Read Stories
- Everett’s bikini baristas head to federal court to argue for freedom of exposure
- A Washington syrah was named second best wine in the world
- Anthony Bourdain's 'Parts Unknown' came to Seattle: What did you think of the episode?
- Parents, adult son believed dead in Sammamish murder-suicide
- Look at some of the weird places people put shared bikes in Seattle
Another top contender is Herbie D, who has won eight of 11 career races at Hastings in Vancouver, B.C., including a pair of stakes this year.
The Mt. Rainier Handicap is the ninth of 10 races on Sunday’s card.
Scott Hanson: 206-464-2943