Jimmy Shane in the U-5 Graham Trucking and Steve David in the U-1 Oh Boy! Oberto won the first heats of BigWake Weekend on Folsom Lake on...
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Jimmy Shane in the U-5 Graham Trucking and Steve David in the U-1 Oh Boy! Oberto won the first heats of BigWake Weekend on Folsom Lake on Saturday.
Unlimited hydroplane racing returned to Folsom Lake for the first time in 46 years. David, who was the fastest qualifier Friday, was an easy winner while Graham beat the U-37 Performance Chevrolet and driver J. Michael Kelly by 2 boat lengths.
Sunday’s final is scheduled for 4 p.m.
Most Read Stories
- Retired Alabama cop on Roy Moore: ‘We were also told to ... make sure that he didn’t hang around the cheerleaders’
- A Washington syrah was named second best wine in the world
- Expect record-high temps, 'copious rain' in Seattle area as we head toward Thanksgiving VIEW
- Fake field goal? An errant challenge? Blame Pete Carroll for Seahawks' loss to Atlanta
- Bicyclist dies in hit-and-run crash in Sodo, police say
The Washington State varsity four placed third in its semifinal heat and made Sunday’s Grand Final at Indianapolis’ Eagle Creek Park.
The Gonzaga varsity eight was fifth in its semifinal. The Bulldogs were second in a second varsity semifinal but the race was ruled unofficial because of unsafe conditions and will be re-raced Sunday.
In the Division II championships in Indianapolis, Western Washington advanced its varsity eight and varsity four into Sunday’s Grand Finals.
Puget Sound finished eighth in the Division III varsity eight.