Ben Smith drove in two runs and Dominic Nickerson scored two runs as Puget Sound defeated Manchester, N.H., 7-4 on Tuesday at the Babe Ruth 14-Year-Old World Series in Moses Lake.
Puget Sound erupted for six runs in the fifth inning to take charge. Jack Newman pitched all seven innings for the win.
In the late game, Moses Lake lost 4-3 to Clifton Park, N.Y.
Puget Sound plays Wednesday against Westchester, Calif.
Most Read Stories
- A Washington county that went for Trump is shaken as immigrant neighbors start disappearing VIEW
- Kickoff time, TV info announced for 110th Apple Cup
- Seattle hits record high for income inequality, now rivals San Francisco
- Seahawks' Kam Chancellor likely out for season, report says, but Pete Carroll says nothing official yet WATCH
- Rebound with redemption: Huskies come back to beat Utah behind the unlikeliest of heroes
Track and field
Rick Sloan, the men’s and women’s coach and the dean of Cougars coaches, will retire from Washington State at the end of the 2014 outdoor season.
“This will be my final year as a head coach at Washington State,” Sloan said. “I’m not done coaching as I feel like I still have more coaching in me but I don’t know what direction that will take me. At this point in time, with my wife Sandy’s illness a couple of years ago, we need to move on with our life and spend some time together.”
Sloan has been with the Cougar track and field program for 40 years, including the last 18 as head coach of both the men’s and women’s programs and one additional year as the head coach for the men’s team. During his tenure, Sloan has seen Cougar men set 22 school records and Cougar women set 84 school records.
Washington was picked to finish second in the Pac-12 preseason coaches poll. UCLA was selected as the favorite to capture the title for the third consecutive year. Stanford was picked third, followed by California, San Diego State and Oregon State.
• For the fifth straight season, Seattle Pacific was projected second in the preseason Great Northwest Athletic Conference poll. The conference coaches named three-time defending champion Simon Fraser as this season’s front-runner. Western Washington was picked fourth.
• Seattle Thunderbirds single-game tickets for the 2013-14 season will go on sale Wednesday at 10 a.m.
• The Seattle University volleyball team was picked by the coaches of the nine programs in the Western Athletic Conference to finish fourth. New Mexico State, the WAC tournament champion, was chosen as the favorite.
• First round co-leader Casey McCoy of Tumwater has a one-shot lead over Shane Prante of Olympia after shooting a 5-under 67 at the Northwest Open Invitational in Walla Walla.
From sports-information reports.