With Stopshoppingdebbie cruising to a predictable victory in the $50,000 Kent Handicap, it was Mike Man’s Gold that provided the surprise on Sunday at Emerald Downs in Auburn.
Mike Man’s Gold fought off Music of My Soul in the $50,000 Seattle Slew Handicap for 3-year-old colts and geldings for a neck victory in 1:42.92 for 11
/16 miles. Ridden by Javier Matias at 118 lbs., Mike Man’s Gold paid $38.80, $8.60 and $3.80. The $2 win mutuel was easily the largest in a stakes this season.
Mike Man’s Gold struggled in his first three outs this season, but turned in a resurgent effort two weeks ago when reunited with Matias.
Stopshoppingdebbie, ridden by Rocco Bowen at 120 lbs., was the prohibitive 1-to-5 betting favorite in the Kent Handicap, while stablemates Goin to the Window and Blueberry Smoothie were the clear second and third choices.
Most Read Stories
- Kickoff time, TV info announced for 110th Apple Cup
- Parents, adult son believed dead in Sammamish murder-suicide
- Rebound with redemption: Huskies come back to beat Utah behind the unlikeliest of heroes
- Anthony Bourdain brought 'Parts Unknown' to Seattle — here's where he ate
- Huskies won't repeat as Pac-12 champs, but their consolation prize? The game of the year
Sure enough, Stopshoppingdebbie remained undefeated with a gate-to-wire head victory over Goin to the Window in 1:43.13 for 11
/16 miles. Blueberry Smoothie easily outran Strange Luck for third place.
From track reports