With an 11-win lead and only seven days left in the 2010 meeting, Tim McCanna appears headed for a fourth consecutive training title and...
With an 11-win lead and only seven days left in the 2010 meeting, Tim McCanna appears headed for a fourth consecutive training title and his 10th in the 15-year history of Emerald Downs.
With 62 wins, McCanna has a good chance to break his single-season record of 66 wins set in 2008.
A couple of months ago, another McCanna title didn’t seem likely. On June 30, he was in fourth place, 10 wins back, as Frank Lucarelli and Vann Belvoir were tied for first with 30 wins.
Since July 1, McCanna has won with 42 of 155 starters — 27 percent wins — to gain the top spot.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Bobby Wagner might be the most underappreciated superstar in Seattle sports history | Matt Calkins
- Pac-12 power rankings: As regular season winds down, UW still the clear favorite
- 2019 figures to mark the true transition for Seattle secondary from the Legion of Boom | 2019 position analysis
- Healthy and happy, Dee Gordon looks for a bounceback for the Mariners
- Kyle Seager showed up to Mariners camp slimmer and healthier. Will that lead to a bounce-back year?
The older horse stakes division at Emerald has concluded, but stakes-quality horses still remain.
Last year’s horse of the meeting, Assessment, faces four challengers, including stakes winners Winning Machine and Gallon, in a $21,500 allowance race Sunday at one mile. It is the ninth race on the card.