With an 11-win lead and only seven days left in the 2010 meeting, Tim McCanna appears headed for a fourth consecutive training title and...
With an 11-win lead and only seven days left in the 2010 meeting, Tim McCanna appears headed for a fourth consecutive training title and his 10th in the 15-year history of Emerald Downs.
With 62 wins, McCanna has a good chance to break his single-season record of 66 wins set in 2008.
A couple of months ago, another McCanna title didn’t seem likely. On June 30, he was in fourth place, 10 wins back, as Frank Lucarelli and Vann Belvoir were tied for first with 30 wins.
Since July 1, McCanna has won with 42 of 155 starters — 27 percent wins — to gain the top spot.
Most Read Sports Stories
- What's in a name? For Seattle's future NHL team, more than meets the Sock-eye
- From mentors to magic numbers: Why Brian Schottenheimer's the guy to resurrect the Seahawks' offense
- Analysis: Can Robinson Cano's return lift Mariners into the playoffs?
- Huskies' young receivers embracing daily challenge against UW's loaded secondary
- Safeco Field lease agreement too favorable for Mariners and must be redone, ex-PFD member says
The older horse stakes division at Emerald has concluded, but stakes-quality horses still remain.
Last year’s horse of the meeting, Assessment, faces four challengers, including stakes winners Winning Machine and Gallon, in a $21,500 allowance race Sunday at one mile. It is the ninth race on the card.