With an 11-win lead and only seven days left in the 2010 meeting, Tim McCanna appears headed for a fourth consecutive training title and...
With an 11-win lead and only seven days left in the 2010 meeting, Tim McCanna appears headed for a fourth consecutive training title and his 10th in the 15-year history of Emerald Downs.
With 62 wins, McCanna has a good chance to break his single-season record of 66 wins set in 2008.
A couple of months ago, another McCanna title didn’t seem likely. On June 30, he was in fourth place, 10 wins back, as Frank Lucarelli and Vann Belvoir were tied for first with 30 wins.
Since July 1, McCanna has won with 42 of 155 starters — 27 percent wins — to gain the top spot.
Most Read Sports Stories
- ESPN brings 'College GameDay' to Pullman, but it's the Cougar fans who put on a show
- All of a sudden, Seahawks' 2018 rookie class has plenty to live up to: An early evaluation VIEW
- What we learned from the UW Huskies' 27-13 victory over Colorado
- Unranked until last week, WSU Cougars now top all Pac-12 teams in AP poll
- Instant analysis: Three impressions from Washington State's 34-20 win vs. Oregon
The older horse stakes division at Emerald has concluded, but stakes-quality horses still remain.
Last year’s horse of the meeting, Assessment, faces four challengers, including stakes winners Winning Machine and Gallon, in a $21,500 allowance race Sunday at one mile. It is the ninth race on the card.