Kevin Harvick pulled away from Kasey Kahne of Enumclaw on a restart with 11 laps left to win the Coca-Cola 600.

Share story

CONCORD, N.C. — Kevin Harvick pulled away from Kasey Kahne of Enumclaw on a restart with 11 laps left to win the Coca-Cola 600 for the second time in three seasons, a race that was stopped nearly 30 minutes Sunday night when a TV camera drive line snapped.

Defending champion Kahne led a race-high 161 laps and appeared to have one of the strongest machines in NASCAR’s longest event. But Harvick took a low line after the last of 11 cautions and slowly pulled away in the Sprint Cup Series race at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

“We had a great car from the drop of the green, drove to the front from sixth,” Kahne said. “It was definitely our race to lose, especially during those last 100 laps.”

Harvick won the Coca-Cola 600 two years ago when Dale Earnhardt Jr. ran out of fuel about 700 feet from the finish line.

Most Read Stories

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks

“We won it on gas mileage last time,” Harvick said. “This time, we just went out and won it.”

Kahne finished second, Kurt Busch was third and pole-sitter Denny Hamlin was fourth in his second full race since returning from injury.

Greg Biffle of Vancouver, Wash., finished 31st of 43.

There were at least 10 spectators injured when a nylon rope supporting a Fox Sports overhead camera fell from the grandstands and landed on the track surface on Lap 121 of the 400-lap race.

Three people were taken to a hospital, where they were treated and released. Track spokeswoman Danielle Frye said seven other people were treated with “minor cuts and scrapes” on site and released.

Fox Sports officials released a statement saying they have not determined the cause of the accident.

“Our immediate concern is with the injured fans,” they said in the statement.

Fox said the camera system consists of three ropes — a drive rope that moves the camera back and forth, and two guide ropes on either side. Fox said it was the drive rope that failed near the first-turn connection and fell to the track.

“The camera itself did not come down because guide ropes acted as designed,” Fox said in the statement. “A full investigation is planned, and use of the camera is suspended indefinitely.”

Kyle Busch was in the lead when the nylon rope snapped. He drove over it, said he heard a “thunk” and knew he had problems.

Kahne had a large lead and lots of open track when the final caution flag came out with 16 laps remaining.

Kahne remained on the track while Harvick pitted for two fresh tires. On the restart, Harvick took control and Kahne couldn’t catch up.

“It was a good strategy call there,” Harvick said. “The 5 (Kahne) stayed out and we were able to have a little bit fresher tires and get in front of him on the restart.”

Rosberg wins F1 race

MONACO — Nico Rosberg kept his cool amid chaos to win the crash-marred Monaco Grand Prix, giving Mercedes its first victory of the Formula One season. The 27-year-old matched the feat of his father, Keke Rosberg, who won in Monaco in 1983 — a year after he won his lone F1 season title.

“It’s special, but honestly that’s not what I was thinking of when I was crossing the finish line,” Nico Rosberg said.

Series leader Sebastian Vettel took second and Mark Webber was third.