The Winterhawks score six goals in second period and cruise to 7-4 win.
Kieffer Bellows had two goals and an assist as the Portland Winterhawks used a six-goal second period to run the Everett Silvertips’ season opener, winning 7-4 on Saturday night at Xfinity Arena.
Everett had a 2-0 lead before Portland got rolling. Matt Fonteyne scored twice for Everett and Bryce Kindopp had two assists.
Cody Glass had a goal and two assists for Portland.
The Philadelphia Flyers reassigned goaltender Carter Hart to the Everett Silvertips before the game. Hart has won the last two WHL Goaltender of the Year awards and he’s been the Silvertips’ MVP.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Seahawks GameCenter: Live updates, highlights from win in London over Oakland Raiders
- Oregon vaults UW and WSU enters AP top 25, setting up ranked College GameDay showdown in Pullman
- 'It felt like we were at CenturyLink': Seahawks feel right at home in London laugher over Raiders WATCH
- There go UW's College Football Playoff chances. Now, the Huskies are fighting for their Pac-12 lives. | Larry Stone
- ESPN College GameDay heading to Pullman for WSU vs. Oregon game
Everett has a quick turnaround as it hosts Tri-City on Sunday at 4:05 p.m.
• Seattle U dropped its Western Athletic Conference opener against visiting Utah Valley 25-17, 25-21, 25-21. Katarina Glavinic led the Redhawks (4-10) with 10 kills and three blocks, and Tijana Milojevic had 16 digs.
• Taylor Mims had 16 kills, eight digs and three aces as Washington State (12-2, 1-1) took down visiting Arizona 25-22, 25-21, 24-26, 25-17.
• Gonzaga (6-7, 1-1 WCC) beat visiting Pacific 16-25, 25-21, 25-17, 26-28, 15-12 behind the 14 kills of Jenna Kuehn.
• Alaska Anchorage beat Seattle Pacific (7-5, 2-2) in GNAC play 25-21, 25-22, 22-25, 25-22. Gabby Oddo had 18 kills and 10 digs for the Falcons.
• No. 13 California (8-1) held off the Washington (7-3) women 1-0 in the Pac-12 opener for both teams. The loss snaps UW’s five game win streak. Anja Koehler scored the game’s only goal in the 61st minute.
• Kasey Reeve scored the only goal as Seattle Pacific women (5-2, 3-0 GNAC) beat visiting Northwest Nazarene 1-0.
• Stephen Jinneman scored in overtime to give Western Washington a 3-2 win over Seattle Pacific (4-2-1, 01-1 GNAC). The Falcons had a 2-0 lead until the 73rd minute.