AUBURN — Chu and You put her exceptional speed to good use Sunday at Emerald Downs.
With Juan Gutierrez aboard, Chu and You led every step and scored a dominating 4¾-length victory over Strawberry Dawn in the $50,000 Angie C. Stakes for 2-year-old fillies.
Undefeated in two starts for trainer Robbie Baze and owners Mike and Amy Feuerborn, Chu and You ran six furlongs in 1:09.88 and paid $5.40, $2.60 and $2.20.
Chu and You is the full sister of Chu and I, who won two stakes and was voted Emerald Downs’ Top Juvenile Male of 2011.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle hits record high for income inequality, now rivals San Francisco
- Anthony Bourdain brought 'Parts Unknown' to Seattle — here's where he ate
- Seattle’s crazy restaurant boom | PNW Magazine VIEW
- Seattle-Dublin nonstop flights to begin in May 2018
- Cleveland Browns waive Kasen Williams, could a return to Seahawks be in the offing?
Strawberry Dawn, ridden by Debbie Hoonan, edged Decatur Princess by a head for second, and paid $2.40 and $2.20. Decatur Princess, the only maiden in the field, rallied for third and paid $4.20.
Chu and You set fractions of :21.85, :44.89 and :57.05, opening a three-length cushion into the lane.
“I had a lot of speed under me and I just tried to save the horse for the last part,” said Gutierrez. “She’s a nice filly. I had three horses in this race that I had to choose from. This time, I chose the right one.”