Apolo Ohno and J. R. Celski advanced after the first day of short track speed skating competition at the Samsung ISU World Cup in Salt Lake...
Apolo Ohno and J.R. Celski advanced after the first day of short track speed skating competition at the Samsung ISU World Cup in Salt Lake City.
Ohno, 26, of Seattle, finished the 1,000 meters in 1 minute, 28.495 seconds in preliminaries. He won his heat.
Celski, 18, also from the Seattle area, finished third in his heat in the 1,000-meter preliminary, in 1:39.190.
In a heat for the 5,000-meter relay, of which both men are a part, the U.S. team finished first in 6:57.354 to advance. Ohno and Celski also advanced in the 1,500 meters.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Kelsey Plum returns to UW, searching for the same happiness that brought her college glory
- Ranking the Seahawks’ roster | Positions 60-46: Where will Shaquem Griffin fit in this season? | Analysis
- Seahawks place four rookies — including Marquise Blair and Ben Burr-Kirven — on PUP list
- Let's make a deal? Assessing the Mariners' likely trade chips as deadline looms | Analysis
- 2A player of the year and 2020 UW commit Sawyer Racanelli to miss senior season with torn ACL