Apolo Ohno and J. R. Celski advanced after the first day of short track speed skating competition at the Samsung ISU World Cup in Salt Lake...
Apolo Ohno and J.R. Celski advanced after the first day of short track speed skating competition at the Samsung ISU World Cup in Salt Lake City.
Ohno, 26, of Seattle, finished the 1,000 meters in 1 minute, 28.495 seconds in preliminaries. He won his heat.
Celski, 18, also from the Seattle area, finished third in his heat in the 1,000-meter preliminary, in 1:39.190.
In a heat for the 5,000-meter relay, of which both men are a part, the U.S. team finished first in 6:57.354 to advance. Ohno and Celski also advanced in the 1,500 meters.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Co-defensive coordinator Jimmy Lake staying at Washington, with a smile on his face | Matt Calkins
- 'You mean the nicest guy in camp': Evan White is the future at first base for the Mariners
- Three impressions from UW's 72-70 win at WSU: Huskies are close to locking up the Pac-12 title WATCH
- Huskies stage furious rally in second half to spurn Cougars' upset bid VIEW
- Seahawks' defensive line has a few big question marks entering offseason but a lot of options to choose from | 2019 position analysis