HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Napheesa Collier had 31 points, 16 rebounds and six assists to help No. 4 UConn beat 11th-ranked South Carolina 97-79 on Monday night.
Katie Lou Samuelson added 29 points for the Huskies (22-2), who blew open a close game with a huge third quarter in which they outscored the Gamecocks 29-12. Samuelson scored 14 points in the game-changing quarter. Collier added eight as the two seniors continued to carry UConn.
Collier has now scored 20 or more points in eight straight games and has three double-doubles in her past four contests.
The victory was the 89th straight at home for the Huskies. That’s the second-longest winning streak in NCAA history, trailing only UConn’s school-record 99-game run.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Impressions from the Seahawks' 25-19 preseason loss against the Minnesota Vikings | Analysis WATCH
- UW Huskies back in contention for Sav'ell Smalls after 5-star LB from Kennedy Catholic releases top 6
- Shaquem Griffin, an inspirational NFL story, might be on the bubble to make the 2019 Seahawks roster | Larry Stone
- Takeaways from Chris Petersen: Two defensive players go down, and could UW play multiple QBs?
- Seahawks notebook: DK Metcalf to have knee surgery Tuesday, Marquise Blair leaves with back spasms WATCH
Bianca Cuevas-Moore scored 25 points and Te’a Cooper had 20 to lead South Carolina (17-6), which had won 13 of its past 14 games.
NO. 17 KENTUCKY 68, ALABAMA 53
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — Rhyne Howard scored 23 points with four 3-pointers, Maci Morris added 17 points and Kentucky beat Alabama.
Howard, averaging 16.5 points and 6.8 rebounds, scored 20-plus for the eighth time this season while becoming just the fourth UK player to reach 400 points in her freshman season.
The Wildcats (20-5, 7-4 Southeastern Conference) have won seven straight games against the Crimson Tide, including five straight in Tuscaloosa.
Megan Abrams scored 16 points and Jasmine Walker had 12 points and 15 rebounds for Alabama (11-13, 3-8).
NO. 23 MICHIGAN STATE 77, INDIANA 61
EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Shay Colley scored a career-high 32 points on 12-of-18 shooting to help Michigan State avenge a loss to the Hoosiers earlier this season.
Taryn McCutcheon finished with 12 points and Nia Clouden scored 11 for Michigan State (17-5, 7-5 Big Ten).
Jaelynn Penn scored 19 points for Indiana (17-8, 6-7 Big Ten), which beat the Spartans 68-64 at home on Jan. 6.