Tyler Harvey finished with 27 points but Eastern lost 84-74 at Portland.

Share story

PORTLAND — As it turns out, Cinderella’s slipper isn’t one-size-fits-all.

Not on a night when the heavyweight beats you at your own game, as Georgetown did to Eastern Washington in their second-round NCAA tournament game Thursday night.

The Hoyas hit enough three-point shots — 11 of them on 23 attempts — to end the best season in Eagle history, 84-74, before a crowd of 14,279 at the Moda Center.

“The difference was how they shot the ball and how we shot the ball,” Eastern coach Jim Hayford said after the game. “We need a really good shooting night to beat them, and we didn’t bring it.”

If the 13th-seeded Eagles drew any inspiration from early upsets by 14 seeds Georgia State and Alabama-Birmingham, so did the Hoyas. The Big East runners-up weathered an early barrage, then surged past the Eagles in a rally that carried well into the second half.

In 12-minute span, a seven-point Eagle lead turned into an 18-point deficit. To their credit, the Eagles (26-8) cut a 23-point deficit to eight in the late going, but never managed to pull off the kind of nail-biting rally that carried them past Montana last week and into the NCAAs.

Eastern was the trendy upset pick until Georgetown bucked a few trends of its own. The Hoyas shut down the Eagles and dominated on the boards to advance to a third-round game Saturday against Utah.

If Hayford threw down the gauntlet with his “We’re gonna win” proclamation two days earlier, the Hoyas responded by throwing down threes when they needed them most. Georgetown guard D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera led the way with six of them and finished with a game-high 25 points.

National scoring leader Tyler Harvey finished with a game-high 27 points, but was silenced during the Hoyas’ big run late in the first half and early in the second.

The game began well enough for the Eagles, who missed their first five three-point shots but tied the game at 7-7 after Harvey converted a loose ball into a tip-in.

Harvey, Felix Von Hofe and Bogdan Bliznyuk hit consecutive treys to put the Eagles ahead 24-17 with 8:15 left in the first half.

In the meantime, they sent Smith’s backup, Mikael Hopkins, to the bench after he too committed a second foul.

Not a good thing, as it turned out. The Hoyas turned to seldom-used third-stringer Bradley Hayes, a 7-footer who’d averaged 0.5 points a game this season. In only nine minutes of action in the first half, Hayes was 3 for 3 from the field, scored eight points and added six boards.

In another turning point, Harvey was pushed to the floor at midcourt with the Eagles clinging to a 29-28 lead with 4:57 left. Hayford argued for a foul, but none was called after officials reviewed the action on replay.