The Golden State Warriors, in barely six months, have gone from being the Beatles of basketball to … The Who?
Last April, Warriors coach Steve Kerr rolled out a playoff lineup of Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and DeMarcus Cousins.
Last week — after a staggering series of injuries and/or defections — the Golden State starters consisted of Eric Paschall, Glenn Robinson III, Willie Cauley-Stein, Ky Bowman and Jordan Poole.
• Spotted on an SMU fan’s sign during ESPN’s “College GameDay”: “We paid players before it was cool.”
• At BabylonBee.com: “Bryce Harper wins World Series in ‘MLB The Show 19.’ ”
To the penalty box
Las Vegas’ Cosmopolitan casino is suing San Jose Sharks forward Evander Kane, claiming he failed to pay back $500,000 in gambling markers from April.
Possible penalties range from a huge fine and restitution to two minutes for charging.
Just call it Jet lag
More bad news for ever-suffering Jets fans: When you set your clocks back on Nov. 3, your season just got one hour longer.
A win for Cincinnati?
Scientists are experimenting with psychedelic drugs in an effort to erase bad memories and thus prevent the triggering of depression.
Rumor has it they plan to test it out on Bengals fans.
The Browns cut safety Jermaine Whitehead after he went off on a postgame Twitter rant.
So, his updated season summary: 1-5 on grass, 1-1 on artificial turf and 0-1 on social media.
If the shoe fits …
The NBA suspended Atlanta Hawks center John Collins for 25 games after he tested positive for Growth Hormone Releasing Peptide-2.
League officials figured something was amiss when he gained 1½ shoe sizes before halftime.
Talking the talk
• Janice Hough of LeftCoastSportsBabe.com, on the former San Diego Chargers playing the soon-to-be former Oakland Raiders on Thursday Night Football: “Can we call it the Runaway Bowl?”
• From @SportsPickle, on Nov. 6 marking the 150th anniversary of the first-ever college football game, Princeton vs. Rutgers: “Hard to respect Princeton scheduling a cupcake.”
Mitch Trubisky wants all the television sets turned off at Bears headquarters so the team can avoid hearing criticism.
Now, if he can just get his coaches to shut down the film room …
Talking the talk
• Syndicated columnist Norman Chad, via Twitter, on the specter of Lions QB Matthew Stafford amassing 60,000 career passing yards without ever winning a playoff game: “This recalls Marco Polo, who traveled nearly 75,000 miles without ever using frequent-flyer points.”
• Comedy writer Brad Dickson, on Nebraska’s poor clock management against Purdue last Saturday: “I’m not sure we can trust these guys to fall back an hour tonight.”
• Jim Barach of JokesByJim.blogspot.com, after Patriots rookie cornerback Joejuan Williams said he saves 90% of his salary: “Mostly because of Tom Brady telling him how important it is to hedge against deflation.”