NEW YORK — First-round draft pick Michael Conforto from Woodinville has signed with the New York Mets.
The 21-year-old All-American outfielder from Oregon State, selected 10th overall last month, receives a $2,970,800 bonus — the assigned value for his draft slot.
The team said Conforto will start his professional career with Class A Brooklyn in the short-season New York-Penn League.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Kyle Seager speaks out about Astros' sign-stealing scandal, which touched his brother on the Dodgers
- KeyArena's luxury spaces will have a Seattle-inspired flair. Here's what they'll look like. VIEW
- Could the Seahawks sign defensive end Everson Griffen or former UW Husky Danny Shelton?
- Yes, that was Marshawn Lynch in HBO's 'Westworld' trailer
- Mariners pitcher Sam Carlson wondered if he'd ever throw again. Now, he's a spring training inspiration. WATCH
• Milwaukee’s Jonathan Lucroy will replace injured St. Louis catcher Yadier Molina as the National League’s starter for the All-Star Game. Arizona’s Miguel Montero will fill Molina’s roster spot, and Detroit second baseman Ian Kinsler will replace injured Tigers DH Victor Martinez.
• Injured Texas Rangers catcher Geovany Soto is free on bond after a Wednesday night arrest for possession of marijuana under two ounces, Grapevine police said.
• The White Sox announced the signing of first-round draft pick Carlos Rodon, a left-handed pitcher from North Carolina State, with a $6.582 million signing bonus.
• The San Francisco Giants signed first-round draft pick Tyler Beede, a pitcher from Vanderbilt, to a contract that included a signing bonus of more than $2.6 million.
• The Toronto Blue Jays placed first baseman Adam Lind on the 15-day disabled list with a broken right foot.
•Baltimore Orioles right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez was placed on the 15-day DL with a sprained right ankle.
• The Tampa Bay Rays activated shortstop Yunel Escobar from the disabled list.
• Colorado Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez was activated from the disabled list after he missed 35 games because of left index finger inflammation.
• Cincinnati Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips had surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left thumb, an injury that’s expected to sideline him for about six weeks.
• The Arizona Diamondbacks reinstated outfielder Mark Trumbo from the 15-day disabled list.