Notes, quotes, video and boxscore from the Mariners' 7-3 loss to the Rangers on Monday night.
Here’s a link to my game story and video highlights from MLB.com. The Mariners got three runs so there is minimal improvement over the past few days. But it didn’t result in a win. They’ve lost four straight at home and fell to 2-4 on the season.
RANGERS MANAGER JEFF BANISTER:
On Brett Nicholas’ debut
“You have to say a lot about our development system because when these guys come up, they’re ready and they’re not overwhelmed by the moment. It was great to see Brett Nicholas get the opportunity to become a big leaguer tonight. He showed up in the first inning when he threw Aoki out at second base. He kept calm and he kept Colby Lewis in the game [while also] giving us two big hits.”
Most Read Sports Stories
- Four-star 2023 DB Vincent Holmes continues UW Huskies' commitment streak
- Mariners first baseman Ty France placed on 10-day IL with flexor strain in left forearm
- For Doug Baldwin, Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett, Champions of Change is a way to keep their Seahawks legacy alive
- What it means for UW men's basketball that Seattle's three NBA first-rounders played elsewhere
- Mariners beat Angels again, run winning streak to season-high five games
On Colby Lewis’ start
“It looked like he was just barely missing off the edges [in the first inning]. The pitch count got up on him a little bit in the first but he was able to limit the damage. Once he finds his range and finds his release point, he’s always tough when he’s got the ball running on to the right handers.”
- Robinson Canó (0x4) snapped a 31-game on base streak which dated back to Sept. 7, 2015. … During the streak he hit .317 (38×120) with 18 runs, 3 doubles, 11 home runs, 26 RBI and 10 walks.
- Norichika Aoki (1×4) had a single in the 1st inning to extend his hitting streak to 6 games…. During the streak he is batting .304 (7×23) with 1 run scored, 1 double and 1 RBI.
- Hisashi Iwakuma had won 6 straight decisions in 8 starts vs. the Texas entering tonight (since Aug. 16, 2013). … Since 2013, is 7-2 with 3.04 ERA (27 ER, 80.0 IP) with 69 strikeouts and 13 walks in 12 starts vs. Texas. … In 8 career starts vs. the Rangers at Safeco Field, Iwakuma is 4-2 with a 3.55 ERA (20 ER, 53.2 IP) with 44 strikeouts and 6 walks.
- The Mariners snapped a 0-for-16 hitless streak with men in scoring position during the homestand when Nelson Cruz had an RBI double in the first inning. … Including tonight, Seattle is hitting .130 (3×23) with men in scoring position during the homestand.
- Texas has won three of its last four games after losing three of the first four to start the season …. Have limited their opponent to 3 runs or less in each of the last four games.
- Texas’ bullpen had allowed just one run in 11.1 IP in the last 5 contests before Nelson Cruz’s 8th inning home run. … Since permitting a walk-off winning run in the 9th inning on Thursday at LAA, the relievers had not allowed a run in 7.2 IP in the last 4 games.
- Texas pitchers had gone 40.0 IP without allowing a home run until Nelson Cruz went deep in the 8th inning off of Keone Kela.
- Brett Nicholas made his Major League debut and went 2-for-4 with 2 runs and a double.
- Nomar Mazara is hitting .625 (5×8) with 2 runs, 1 home run and 2 RBI since being recalled from Triple-A Round Rock and making his Major League debut on Sunday.
- Mitch Moreland (1×5, R) has a 6-game hitting streak after a single in the 4th inning. … Moreland is hitting .231 (6×26) with 2 2B, 2 R and 1 RBI over that span.