Zach Vincej's three-run triple put the Mariners ahead for good.
Mariners (SS) 4, A’s (SS) 1 at HoHoKam Park
The Mariners broke a 1-1 tie in the top of the ninth against A’s reliever Ryan Buchter. Seattle loaded the bases with one out on pinch-hit singles from Joe DeCarlo and Anthony Jimenez and a walk from Michael Marjama. Zach Vincej cleared the bases with a triple to center field to score the go-ahead run and a few insurance runs.
Art Warren got the save, working around a lead-off walk by getting a one-out double play to end the game. Four Seattle pitchers — starter Casey Lawrence, Shawn Armstrong, Anthony Misiewicz and Warren — combined to hold Oakland to two hits.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Impressions from the Seahawks' 25-19 preseason loss against the Minnesota Vikings | Analysis VIEW
- Shaquem Griffin, an inspirational NFL story, might be on the bubble to make the 2019 Seahawks roster | Larry Stone
- UW Huskies back in contention for Sav'ell Smalls after 5-star LB from Kennedy Catholic releases top 6
- Seahawks notebook: DK Metcalf to have knee surgery Tuesday, Marquise Blair leaves with back spasms WATCH
- Five questions for the Seahawks in preseason game No. 2 against the Minnesota Vikings | Analysis
Marjama and Taylor Motter each had doubles in the game.
The Mariners will be back at Peoria Stadium on Sunday afternoon to host the Cleveland Indians. Right-hander Rob Whalen will get the start for Seattle while right-handers Juan Nicasio, Edwin Diaz, Mike Morin and Ryan Good are also scheduled to pitch. Cleveland will start right-hander Mike Clevinger. First pitch is set for 1:10 p.m. The game will be televised on Root Sports and broadcast live on ESPN 710 and mariners.com