Reliever Joaquin Benoit had a 3.60 ERA in five games with the Mariners this season.
The Mariners have placed relief pitcher Joaquin Benoit on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder inflammation and recalled reliever Mayckol Guaipe from Class AAA Tacoma.
Benoit, 38, hasn’t pitched since last Thursday, when he gave up two runs, including a home run, against Cleveland. His stint on the disabled list is retroactive to last Friday.
Benoit has made five appearances for the Mariners this season, all in the eighth inning.
Guaipe, 25, has a 2.16 ERA and three saves in six games for the Rainiers this season. He made his major-league debut with the Mariners last season but struggled at this level. He had a 5.40 ERA over 21 games with the Mariners last season.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Analysis: Does Russell Wilson really want to leave the Seahawks for the New York Giants?
- Seahawks mailbag: Earl Thomas comp picks and what to do about special teams
- Patriots owner Kraft denies charges of soliciting prostitute VIEW
- Five things to know about Husky great Myles Gaskin entering the NFL combine
- Mariners score court victory to have Lorena Martin discrimination case heard in private arbitration
We will meet with manager Scott Servais this afternoon and see what this means for the deployment of the bullpen.