Reliever Joaquin Benoit had a 3.60 ERA in five games with the Mariners this season.
The Mariners have placed relief pitcher Joaquin Benoit on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder inflammation and recalled reliever Mayckol Guaipe from Class AAA Tacoma.
Benoit, 38, hasn’t pitched since last Thursday, when he gave up two runs, including a home run, against Cleveland. His stint on the disabled list is retroactive to last Friday.
Benoit has made five appearances for the Mariners this season, all in the eighth inning.
Guaipe, 25, has a 2.16 ERA and three saves in six games for the Rainiers this season. He made his major-league debut with the Mariners last season but struggled at this level. He had a 5.40 ERA over 21 games with the Mariners last season.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Instant analysis: Three impressions from No. 25 UW Huskies' loss to No. 12 Oregon
- How MLS’ ruling allowing Iron Front flag might be pushing away Sounders fans | Matt Calkins
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- How can the Huskies take down the vaunted Ducks in Saturday's top-25 clash in Seattle?
- Seahawks-Ravens predictions: Seattle Times writers make their picks
We will meet with manager Scott Servais this afternoon and see what this means for the deployment of the bullpen.