Reliever Joaquin Benoit had a 3.60 ERA in five games with the Mariners this season.
The Mariners have placed relief pitcher Joaquin Benoit on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder inflammation and recalled reliever Mayckol Guaipe from Class AAA Tacoma.
Benoit, 38, hasn’t pitched since last Thursday, when he gave up two runs, including a home run, against Cleveland. His stint on the disabled list is retroactive to last Friday.
Benoit has made five appearances for the Mariners this season, all in the eighth inning.
Guaipe, 25, has a 2.16 ERA and three saves in six games for the Rainiers this season. He made his major-league debut with the Mariners last season but struggled at this level. He had a 5.40 ERA over 21 games with the Mariners last season.
Most Read Sports Stories
- We all love him, but it's time for the Mariners to release Ichiro | Larry Stone
- Strong spring solidifies redshirt freshman Jake Haener's role as UW Huskies' No. 2 QB
- In dramatic finish, Huskies defense gets goal-line stop on final play to win UW's spring preview VIEW
- What the national media are saying about Seahawks' schedule: Could Seattle finish 6-10?
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
We will meet with manager Scott Servais this afternoon and see what this means for the deployment of the bullpen.