Postgame notes, quotes and video of manager Scott Servais following the Mariners' 8-4 win over the Red Sox on Friday night at Fenway Park.
The Mariners haven’t yet made the announcement official, but right-hander Adrian Sampson will have his contract selected from Class AAA Tacoma. He’ll start on Saturday afternoon vs. the Red Sox and right-hander Rick Porcello. Left-hander David Rollins, who gave the Mariners 1 1/3 innings of scoreless relief will be optioned back to Tacoma.
*** Hisashi Iwakuma gave the Mariners seven much-needed innings. He wasn’t dominant, giving up four runs on nine hits. But he walked just one batter. He’s made five consecutive starts where he pitched seven innings or more and allowed one walk or less.
“I feel like my mechanics are much better now,” he said through interpreter Antony Suzuki. “I feel like my balance between my upper body and lower body are better. More than that, I’m attacking the strike zone and getting strike one, which helps me a lot, and not try to nibble on both sides of the plate. Just attacking has gotten me better.”
And there is this ….
MARINERS NOTES (36-31)
THE MARINERS improved to 21-13 on the road this season…Are 2-2 on their current road trip and 11-11 in series openers…Have won 2 of their last 3 series openers…Are 9-5 against the Red Sox since the beginning of 2014, and 5-2 at Fenway Park.
- Have homered in 7 consecutive games vs. BOS, their longest streak against the club since 8 games from 9/1/98-8/15/99…The streak includes 3 consecutive games with multiple HR, their longest such streak against the Red Sox since 4 games from 8/27/97-4/5/98.
- Scored at least 8 runs vs. BOS in their 3rd straight game, T-longest streak in franchise history.
FRANKLIN GUTIERREZ (3-for-5, 3 R, 2B, 2 HR, 6 RBI) set single-game career highs in RBI (6) and total bases (10)…Hit his 6th and 7th HR of the season, 5 of which have come against LHP…Of his 3 career multi-HR games, his last 2 have come against the Red Sox at Fenway Park (also 8/16/15).
- Has multiple HR in consecutive games at Fenway Park, becoming the 5th visitor since 1913 to do so (last Edwin Encarnacion 5/20-5/21/14).
- Was the 4th SEA batter to drive in 6+ vs. BOS (last Bret Boone on 7/19/04)…The last visiting batter with at least 2 HR and 6 RBI at Fenway Park was Mark Texeira (4/21/12 with NYY).
- Has hit safely in 11 consecutive games vs. BOS, tied for the longest active streak against the club (also Starlin Castro)…In those 11 games, is batting .447 (17-for-38) with 5 HR and 12 RBI.
ROBINSON CANO (2-for-5, R, HR, 2 RBI) collected his 7th multi-hit contest in his last 10 games..Is batting .450 (9-for-20) with 2 HR and 5 RBI in his last 4 games against BOS…In 170 career games vs. the Red Sox, has hit .305/.350/.499 (209-for-686) with 56 2B, 23 HR, and 111 RBI.
- His 7th-inning HR was his 258th career HR, 247th as a second baseman…Broke a tie with Joe Gordon for the most HR by a second baseman in AL history.
- Of his 19 HR this season, 11 have come on the road…Has a .333 road AVG (48-for-144) with 11 HR and 32 RBI…32 of his 53 RBI have come in away games.
HISASHI IWAKUMA (7.0 IP, 9 H, 4 ER, BB, 4 SO) earned his 1st career win vs. BOS…Has tossed at least 7.0 IP in each of his last 5 starts, the 2nd-longest streak of his career (7 games, 7/7-8/8/14)…Is 3-1 with a 3.54 ERA (11 ER/28.0 IP) in those 5 games…Is 2-3 with a 3.20 ERA (16 ER/45.0 IP) on the road this season.
RED SOX NOTES (37-29)
THE RED SOX have lost 4 of their last 5 games and 9 of their last 14 (5-9 in June)…Lost for just the 3rd time in 11 games vs. the AL West this season…Have lost 4 of their last 5 series openers at home…Fell to 4-20 in games with 4 or fewer runs.
- Sox relievers had held opponents scoreless for 7.2 consecutive innings before a 7th-inning HR tonight…Have a 1.61 ERA (5 ER/28.0 IP) in 9 games since 6/5.
- Have collected at least 10 hits in each of their last 20 home games against AL West opponents (since 5/22/15), hitting .363 (274-for-754) in those games (15-5).
- Are 7 for their last 44 (.159) with RISP (1-for-13 tonight)…Have been held scoreless through the first 3 IP in 7 of their last 10 games, going 1-6 in those 7 games.
DAVID ORTIZ (1-for-3, R, BB, HR, 2 RBI) hit his 521st career home run in the 3rd, tying Hall of Famers Ted Williams, Willie McCovey, and Frank Thomas for 19th-most of all time…Drove in 2, reaching 1,700 career RBI and passing Jim Thome (1,699) for 25th on the all-time RBI list…Now has 1,501 RBI as a DH (most all-time).
- The homer was his 2,380th career hit, the same career number recorded by Red Sox Hitting Coach Chili Davis.
- Extended his on-base streak vs. SEA to 33 games, the longest active on-base streak vs. SEA and his longest career on-base streak vs. any single team (.361/.432/.615, 44-for-122, 10 2B, 7 HR, 26 RBI)…Is the 3rd-longest on-base streak by a Red Sox hitter vs. SEA since the Mariners’ first season in 1977.
- Has reached base in each of his last 21 home games, with 23 extra-base hits (.436/34-for-78)…Has hit in 19 of those games at home, including his last 12.
SANDY LEON (3-for-4, R, 2B) is 9-for-13 with 3 doubles in 5 games this season (.692/.714/.923)…Is hitting .400 (18-for-45) in his last 15 ML games.
MOOKIE BETTS (1-for-4, 2B, RBI) led off the home half of the 1st with a double to left…Has reached safely in his last 18 games, hitting in 16 of those (.333/26-for-78, 19 R, 5 2B, 3B, 5 HR, 13 RBI)…Extended his hitting streak vs. AL West opponents to 14 games with 9 extra-base hits in those games (6 2B, 2 3B, 2 HR).
JACKIE BRADLEY JR. (1-for-4, 2B) hit his 17th double of the season in the bottom of the 2nd…Has not gone as many as 3 consecutive games without recording an extra-base hit since 5/1-4 (3 G)…Has 8 extra-base hits in his last 4 games vs. SEA (20 AB), including a franchise-record 5 on 8/15/15.
XANDER BOGAERTS (1-for-4, R) tallied his ML-leading 97th hit…Has 25 hits over a 12-game hitting streak vs. the AL West (.424/25-for-59, 4 2B, 3 HR, 14 RBI).
ROENIS ELIAS (4.0 IP, 7 H, 7 ER, 3 BB, 2 SO) made his first start in a Red Sox uniform (2nd game), allowing a career-high-tying 7 ER (3rd time, last 6/24/15 vs. KC).