Mariners manager Scott Servais discusses his team's 9-8 loss to the Astros on Wednesday night and being swept in the three-game series.
• Seattle lost its 9th consecutive road game…the club is 2-14 in their last 16 road games (started the year 19-8 on the road).
• The Mariners used a 4-run 4th inning to cut Houston’s lead to 5-4…2B Robinson Cano, 3B Kyle Seager and 1B Dae- Ho Lee all homered in the inning, including back-to-back homers by Seager and Lee…was the 3rd time this season the Mariners hit back-to-back homers (last, Lee/Seager, June 10 vs. TEX, 4th)…marked the 2nd time this season the Mariners hit 3 homers in a single inning (also April 5 at TEX, 8th).
• LF Seth Smith hit a game-tying 3-run homer in the 7th inning…has 5 homers and 14 RBI in his last 7 games.
• With his strikeout of LF Colby Rasmus in the 7th, RHP Edwin Diaz set a club record for most consecutive outs via strike- out with 11 (dating back to June 28)…previous record was 10 set by LHP Randy Johnson in 1997…21 of his last 27 outs dating back to June 21 have come via strikeout.
Most Read Sports Stories
- All of a sudden, Washington state is a hotbed for high-school football talent. Here's why. VIEW
- Five reasons why the Seahawks are better than we thought they’d be
- How Ikaika Malloe and the Huskies made UW the go-to destination for top recruits from Hawaii
- Suicide, quarterbacks and the Hilinskis: A family tries to move on, as another brother heads to school VIEW
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
• 2B Robinson Cano reached base safely in all 5 of his plate appearances (HR, 2 doubles, 2 walks)…the last time he reached base safely 5 times in a single game was on Aug. 29, 2015 at CWS…the last time he hit 2 doubles and a HR in a game was on June 13, 2013 at OAK.
• Cano also extended his hitting streak vs. Houston to 16 games…marks the longest active hitting streak in the Majors vs.
• Houston is 14-3 in its last 17 games, 16-4 in its last 20 and 29-11 since May 23…since May 1, Houston has gone 39-22. • At 7 games above .500, the Astros have set a new high water mark for the season. Tonight’s win gave the Astros their first series sweep of the Mariners since taking a 4-game set in Houston from April 30-May 3, 2015…was Houston’s 7th sweep of 2016…the Astros have won their last 4 games against Seattle…marks their longest winning streak against the club since winning 5 straight games from April 30-June 12, 2015.
• RHP Mike Fiers had his home scoreless innings streak snapped at 17.2 innings after allowing 4 runs in the 4th…went just 3.1 innings, his shortest start since June 2, 2013 at PHI (career-low 1.2 IP).
• 3B Luis Valbuena hit a go-ahead homer in the 8th inning off RHP Edwin Diaz to put the Astros on top 9-7…was his 2nd straight game with a home run…has hit all 11 of his home runs since May 7…was his 7th career go-ahead home run in the
8th inning or later (last, April 20 at SEA off RHP Danny Farquhar, 8th inning, snapped a 5-5 tie).
• C Jason Castro tied his career high for doubles in a game (8th career game with 2 doubles, last, July 31, 2013 at BAL). • CF Carlos Gomez fell a homer shy of the cycle…tripled for the 1st time since May 11, 2015 vs. CWS…doubled and tripled in the same game for the 1st time since May 8, 2013 vs. TEX.
• RHP Luke Gregerson recorded his 14th save of the season (1st since May 31 at ARI)…has saved 6 of his last 8 chances.
Houston, and the longest since Brock Holt had a 17-game streak from 2014-16…is hitting .439 (29×66) with 3 doubles, 7 HR and 23 RBI during the streak…in 10 games vs. HOU this year, has hit .463 (19×41) with 3 doubles, 6 HR, 19 RBI.