The idea may be hard to swallow, but there’s a possibility the Seattle Mariners and the ‘Sharknado’ films are somehow connected.
Talk about getting the jaws of life.
Seems the Seattle Mariners — somehow inspired by SyFy’s release of “Sharknado” (in 2013) and “Sharknado 2” (in 2014) — reeled off an MLB-best record of 19-4 in the two weeks following the debut of the films, Kenny Ducey reported at HashtagImportant.com.
“Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No!” made its debut Wednesday, and just like clockwork, the Mariners recorded their first back-to-back wins in 3½ weeks.
But don’t get your hopes too high, Seattle fans: Despite the shark-infused hot streaks, the M’s didn’t make the playoffs the first two times.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Sticker shock aside, NHL Seattle is banking on fans paying big to watch its team in person | Inside the NHL
- Seahawks trade for Detroit safety Quandre Diggs to bolster depleted secondary
- The Final Word: Adam Jude reviews what went wrong in the Seahawks' loss to the Ravens
- Washington's Pac-12 title chances have been dashed. So what do these Huskies have to play for?
- The Seahawks can still become a Super Bowl contender, but their loss to the Ravens is alarming | Larry Stone
• At SportsPickle.com: “Jimbo Fisher facing 85 years in prison after taking responsibility for FSU program.”
• At TheOnion.com: “Scientists warn planet cannot support growing Gronkowski population.”
Relish the moment
Friday was National Hot Dog Day.
Or as Joey Chestnut calls it, every day.
Back to his roots
Donald Trump says he nearly purchased the New England Patriots 27 years ago.
Maybe that’s where he got the idea for his hair helmet.
Stat of the Week
Tiger Woods probably won’t be asked to bat leadoff in any pickup softball games.
He’s opened seven of his eight tournaments this year with a bogey on the very first hole.
Stat of the Week
Nearly two dozen cows escaped from a farmer’s field in Wales and broke into the nearby stadium of the Colwyn Bay soccer team.
Apparently they just wanted to milk the clock.
Not that Rocky Balboa is showing his age or anything in “Creed” — the seventh installment in the “Rocky” movie series — but the eye of the Tiger now has cataracts.
All 16 Republican nominees consider themselves still in contention in the 2016 presidential race.
What, did the primary season add a second wild card or something?
• Golfer Jordan Spieth, to reporters, on using an Old Course simulator in his Dallas home to help prepare him for the British Open: “The course was a lot easier with 68 degrees and no breeze coming out of the air conditioning in that room.”
• RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com, on reports that Derek Jeter and supermodel girlfriend Hannah Davis split the bill for a pizza in Italy: “What kind of people report on these things? The pizzarazzi?”
• Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper, via Twitter, after three power outages suspended a Nats-Dodgers game: “My bad everybody … I knew I shouldn’t of used that blow dryer before the game! #shortage.”
Clippers center DeAndre Jordan, whose free-agent flip-flop angered the Mavericks, said “this whole fiasco was not my intent.”
And the winner of the 2015 Steve Urkel “Did I Do That?” Award is …