Mariners are expected to add more players in two more sets of call-ups, starting on Monday.
OAKLAND, Calif. — The Mariners made the first what is expected three separate sets of roster moves with the September roster expansion from 25 to 40.
And while it is beneficial for teams, manager Scott Servais loathes it.
“It’s that time of the year,” Servais said. “It’s brutal. You play the game a certain way for five months and then all the rules change now. Not a fan. But it is what it is.”
This is annual rant for Servais.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor raises 12th man flag, reveals he has spinal stenosis WATCH
- Earl Thomas in his own words: On sitting out Seahawks practice, and whether he might get traded
- 'Where's Waldo': No. 10 UW Huskies make N'Keal Harry go missing and shut down Sun Devils
- What we learned from the UW Huskies' 27-20 victory over Arizona State
- Three impressions from the Seahawks' 24-13 win over the Dallas Cowboys WATCH
“It’s crazy that the game changes this much,” he said. “How do they fix it? They should have a designated roster every night. You have 28 or 30 players you play with and you are still able to cover guys that way and you could rotate that roster every day. Now you have one team playing with 38, another playing with 33 and another team plays with 40, it’s ridiculous.”
And yet …
“That said, now that I got that off my chest, we need the extra guys,” Servais said with a laugh. “We’ve been carrying a guy light in the bullpen so it’s good to get some extra arms here and you don’t tax the middle-relief guys or maybe a starter in a game where he maybe doesn’t have it.”
The team added six players, removed two from the 40-man roster and activated James Paxton from the disabled list to start on Saturday night vs. the A’s.
Here’s the full list of roster moves:
- James Paxton, LHP, reinstated from the 10-day disabled list.
- Chasen Bradford, RHP, recalled from AAA Tacoma.
- Ryan Cook, RHP, recalled from AAA Tacoma.
- David Freitas, C, recalled from AAA Tacoma.
- James Pazos, LHP, recalled from AAA Tacoma.
- Justin Grimm, RHP, selected from AAA Tacoma.
- Kristopher Negrón, INF/OF, selected from AAA Tacoma.
- Christian Bergman, RHP, outrighted to AAA Tacoma.
- Rob Whalen, RHP, designated for assignment.
Most of the players additions were expected. Freitas, who has been up and down with the Mariners, gives the roster a third catcher. Bradford and Pazos have spent most of the season with the Mariners, while Cook had a call-up early in the season and is a veteran right-hander. The additions of Grimm and Negron to the 40-man roster are somewhat surprising. Grimm has was signed in July after he was released by the Royals. He’s pitched well in Tacoma, posting a 1.64 ERA with 17 strikeouts and two walks in 11 innings pitched. Negron, 32, was just acquired in a minor-league trade from the Diamondbacks on Thursday. He’s played in 112 games over his career.
Whalen was placed on the disabled list twice this season. He was dealing with arm issues and then later left the Rainiers to deal with some depression issues which cut short his 2017 season. He returned to pitch for Class AA Arkansas. He’ll likely clear waivers and be outrighted to the minor leagues.
Bergman cleared waivers and was outrighted to Tacoma. It’s the third time that’s happened with him this season.