Brower worked in the Cubs organization the past two seasons as minor league pitching coordinator.
The Mariners filled one of the two open positions on their big league coaching staff on Tuesday. The organization announced that Jim Brower has been hired as an assistant coach for the 2018 season.
He fills the position that was previously held by Scott Brosius last season. Brosius moved to third base coach following a shuffling of responsibilities within the staff this offseason and the departures of bench coach Tim Bogar and first base coach Casey Candaele.
Brower, who turns 45 on Dec. 29, has spent the past two seasons working in the Chicago Cubs organization as the minor league pitching coordinator. Prior to joining the Cubs in 2016, Brower served as the pitching coach in the Royals’ organization for four seasons — Class AA Northwest Arkansas (2013-2015) and Class A Kane County (2011-12).
A right-handed pitcher during his playing days, Brower pitched in nine big league seasons with eight different teams. He made 354 appearances, including 28 starts, posting a 33-32 record with a 4.67 ERA. He also pitched in Japan, the Venezuelan Winter League, two independent leagues and the Italian Baseball League.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Analysis: How does UW's QB situation measure up with the rest of the Pac-12?
- Sue Bird has an eye for basketball talent. Here's how she's using it in her NBA role with the Nuggets.
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- After a season of change a year ago, Seahawks appear pretty set at tight end heading into 2019
- Kaepernick, Eric Reid settle collusion grievances with NFL
Born in Edina, Minnesota, Brower played for the University of Minnesota and was selected by the Rangers in the sixth round of the 1994 MLB draft.
With the hiring of Brower, the Mariners have one open spot remaining on manager Scott Servais’ staff — bullpen coach. It was held last season by Mike Hampton, who resigned at the All-Star break. Nasusel Cabrera filled in as interim bullpen coach. He will be back with the organization this season in a different role that has yet to be determined.
Here’s the current M’s big league staff.
- Bench Coach – Manny Acta (1st year as Bench Coach, 3rd year on Seattle staff)
- Hitting Coach – Edgar Martinez (4th year as Hitting Coach)
- Pitching Coach – Mel Stottlemyre (3rd year as Pitching Coach)
- Third Base Coach – Scott Brosius (1st year as Third Base Coach, 2nd year on Seattle staff)
- First Base Coach – Chris Prieto (1st year as First Base Coach, 5th year on Seattle staff)
- Bullpen Coach – TBA
- Assistant Coach – Jim Brower (1st year as Assistant Coach)