Following the Mariners getting swept at Minute Maid Park over the weekend, the Extra Innings podcast returns to talk with a person who covers the most hated team in baseball — the Houston Astros.
Chandler Rome, a proud grad of Louisiana State University, joins this episode to talk about the team that the Mariners can’t seem to beat and aspire to be like in the future.
He is one of the few beat writers that is traveling with the team he covers. He discusses what it’s like and why he feels it is important to do so, particularly with the team he covers.
There is an extensive discussion about the sign-stealing controversy and how it all played it out, what it was like to cover it, how the Astros handled it, the fallout from it and the retaliation we are seeing.
Other topics include:
- The pending free agency of multiple Astros players including George Springer, Michael Brantley, Yuli Gurriel and Lance McCullers Jr.
- How the Astros treated Springer
- The struggles of Jose Altuve
- The arm issues of Justin Verlander
- An assessment of the Mariners as a team
- The future employment of manager A.J. Hinch
- Baseball in the future
- And of course, the possibility of college football.
Also included in this episode is the audio of Kendall Graveman discussing the benign bone tumor in his neck and he will do going forward.