CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Jordan Lyons scored 12 of his 20 points in the second half, Alex Hunter and Clay Mounce each finished with 17 points and Furman beat The Citadel 71-61 on Thursday night to sweep the season series against the Bulldogs.
Matt Rafferty, who came in averaging a team-leading 17.7 points per game, finished with a season-low eight points but added 10 rebounds, four assists and three steals for Furman.
Lyons, Hunter and Mounce hit back-to-back-to-back 3-pointers to cap a 13-0 run that pushed the lead to 50-31 with 14:56 remaining and the Paladins (17-5, 6-4 Southern Conference) held on from the there. The Bulldogs missed six consecutive shots and committed two turnovers while going scoreless for four-plus minutes during that stretch.
The Citadel however scored 13 of the next 15 points and later used a 13-5 spurt to trim its deficit to six points with three minutes to go but Rafferty answered with a layup before a basket by Lyons capped the scoring with 1:26 left.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Seahawks mailbag: Are there reasons to be concerned following Seattle's loss to the Rams?
- UW mailbag: What are fair expectations for Huskies in Jimmy Lake's first season as head coach?
- Five UW Huskies receive All-Pac-12 first team honors
- Rashaad Penny is out for the season, so Seahawks will turn to C.J. Prosise to back up Chris Carson
- Megan Rapinoe is Sports Illustrated's Sportsperson of the Year, only the fourth woman chosen alone
Lew Stallworth had 19 points and five assists and Zane Najdawi added 14 points and nine rebounds for The Citadel (10-11, 2-8).
The Bulldogs, who came in averaging 12.7 made 3s per game, hit just 5 of 19 from behind the arc.