CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Jordan Lyons scored 12 of his 20 points in the second half, Alex Hunter and Clay Mounce each finished with 17 points and Furman beat The Citadel 71-61 on Thursday night to sweep the season series against the Bulldogs.
Matt Rafferty, who came in averaging a team-leading 17.7 points per game, finished with a season-low eight points but added 10 rebounds, four assists and three steals for Furman.
Lyons, Hunter and Mounce hit back-to-back-to-back 3-pointers to cap a 13-0 run that pushed the lead to 50-31 with 14:56 remaining and the Paladins (17-5, 6-4 Southern Conference) held on from the there. The Bulldogs missed six consecutive shots and committed two turnovers while going scoreless for four-plus minutes during that stretch.
The Citadel however scored 13 of the next 15 points and later used a 13-5 spurt to trim its deficit to six points with three minutes to go but Rafferty answered with a layup before a basket by Lyons capped the scoring with 1:26 left.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Seahawks expected to part ways with defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr., sources say
- Analysis: What the latest Russell Wilson report means for the Seahawks
- UW football mailbag: What positions should the Huskies try to strengthen via the transfer portal?
- WSU Cougars defensive tackle Dallas Hobbs ends football career, will pursue other ventures
- Former WSU star receiver Gabe Marks wants to help football players with their mental health
Lew Stallworth had 19 points and five assists and Zane Najdawi added 14 points and nine rebounds for The Citadel (10-11, 2-8).
The Bulldogs, who came in averaging 12.7 made 3s per game, hit just 5 of 19 from behind the arc.