POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. (AP) — Isaiah Lamb scored 15 points and Ryan Funk twice made three free throws to help Marist defeat Iona 78-74 on Thursday night.
Marist led by 10 or more points for much of the second half. Iona was within 67-62 with 3:21 remaining before the Red Foxes pushed the lead to 10 once more when Funk made three free throws with 2:25 to go. The Gaels put together another rally and were within two after a pair of free throws by Rickey McGill with 29 seconds left.
Marist’s Brian Parker then missed two free throws and after Asante Gist missed a 3-pointer for Iona, Funk again made three free throws and Marist was up by five. Ben Perez hit a 3-pointer to cut it to two again for Iona but the Gaels had to foul and Darius Hines made a pair for the Red Foxes to close the scoring.
Funk scored 11 points, including 6 of 6 from the line, and Hines finished with 14 points for Marist (8-13, 3-6 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference).
Most Read Sports Stories
- Storm star Breanna Stewart reportedly met with NY Liberty last week. Could she actually leave Seattle?
- Huskies men, minus coach Mike Hopkins, win third straight, defeating Oregon State
- The MLB lockout hurts everywhere but especially in Seattle where hope has rarely been higher
- Mariners position overview: Jarred Kelenic wasn't meant to be the everyday center fielder, but it's a role he'll have to embrace
- Despite taking the long road to his dream school, LB transfer Demario King is ready to make an immediate impact at UW
E.J. Crawford had 22 points and eight rebounds for Iona (7-13, 5-4). McGill and Gist scored 14 each and McGill added eight rebounds and seven assists.
Marist led 47-34 at halftime.