PITTSBURGH (AP) — Nick Kingham of the Pittsburgh Pirates has lost his bid for a perfect game in his major league debut when Paul DeJong of the St. Louis Cardinals singled with two outs in the seventh inning.
The 26-year-old right-hander was recalled from Triple-A Indianapolis earlier Sunday. Left-hander Enny Romero was designated for assignment to make room on the 25-man roster.
Pittsburgh selected Kingham in the fourth round of the 2010 draft out of Sierra Vista High School in Las Vegas. He underwent Tommy John surgery in May 2015, causing him to miss most of the 2015 and 2016 seasons.
In four starts with Indianapolis this season, Kingham was 2-1 with a 1.59 ERA.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Drew Lock jumps ahead in Seahawks QB derby — even if Pete Carroll won't say it yet
- Unlimited hydroplane owners believe, and hope, low boat count at Seafair this year is an anomaly
- Drew Lock outplays Geno Smith in Seahawks' mock game, but Pete Carroll mum on instant impressions
- Observations from the UW Huskies' third practice of preseason camp
- Fifth-rounder Tariq Woolen looks like he belongs while starting at corner in Seahawks' mock game
More AP baseball: https://apnews.com/tag/MLBbaseball