WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) — No. 17 Madison Keys and No. 23 Danielle Collins will lead the U.S. Fed Cup team against Australia next month.
Sofia Kenin and Nicole Melichar will join them on the team announced Wednesday by the U.S. Tennis Association and team captain Kathy Rinaldi. The 25-year-old Collins recently reached her first Grand Slam semifinal at the Australian Open.
The first round of the World Group will be held Feb. 9-10 in Asheville, North Carolina.
The U.S. will face No. 14 Ashleigh Barty and No. 46 Daria Gavrilova, along with Priscilla Hon, Kimberley Birrell and Astra Sharma on a hard court at U.S. Cellular Center. The 22-year-old Barty is coming off a quarterfinal appearance at the Australian Open.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Despite taking the long road to his dream school, LB transfer Demario King is ready to make an immediate impact at UW
- Speculation has started, but here's why it doesn't make sense for Seahawks and Russell Wilson to split
- The MLB lockout hurts everywhere but especially in Seattle where hope has rarely been higher
- Seahawks DC candidate list up to 4 as they reportedly request to interview Joe Whitt Jr.
- Huskies men, minus coach Mike Hopkins, win third straight, defeating Oregon State
The U.S. is 9-5 all-time vs. the Aussies. The Americans won their last meeting in the 2016 World Group Playoff.
The winner will face Germany or Belarus in the semifinals on April 20-21.