NEW YORK (AP) — Colin Kaepernick is taking time out from his activism to honor one of his fiercest defenders — his mother, Teresa.
Kaepernick is the first celebrity announced for VH1’s second annual “Dear Mama: A Love Letter to Moms,” to air May 7. Anthony Anderson and La La Anthony will once again host the special.
The former San Francisco 49ers quarterback sparked a national debate when he decided to kneel for the national anthem to protest the treatment of blacks in America. He was not picked up by another team after opting out of his contract last year, and is suing the National Football League for collusion.
Teresa Kaepernick has been a strong supporter of her son, and even had choice words for President Donald Trump when he criticized the kneeling protests.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Mariners now stand alone — as only MLB team never to reach World Series VIEW
- 'I'll always be there for him': Seahawks' Pete Carroll has no hard feelings for Earl Thomas
- Seahawks mailbag: What's up with Michael Dickson, and what happens now to L.J. Collier? | Analysis
- Who is UW Huskies walk-on tight end Jack Westover? A single play says it all | In-depth
- The Washington-Oregon rivalry is a unique experience — and not just between the lines