IRVINE, Calif. (AP) — Elston Jones had 10 points and 10 rebounds to lead UC Irvine to a 67-56 win over Hawaii on Saturday night, the Anteaters’ seventh straight victory.
Max Hazzard had 13 points for UC Irvine (21-5, 9-1 Big West Conference). Jonathan Galloway added 13 rebounds. Eyassu Worku had seven assists for the home team.
Evan Leonard, whose 11 points per game heading into the contest was second on the Anteaters, scored 3 points. He shot 20 percent from 3-point range (1 of 5).
Sheriff Drammeh had 11 points for the Rainbow Warriors (14-9, 5-4). Jack Purchase added 11 points. Drew Buggs had nine assists.
Most Read Sports Stories
- UW Huskies earn first NCAA tournament bid in 8 years as Pac-12 squeezes 3 teams in
- Top-seeded Huskies fall flat again against Oregon in Pac-12 tournament championship
- Analysis: Does Russell Wilson really want to leave the Seahawks for the New York Giants?
- The Huskies have their coach of the future in Mike Hopkins. But they're 'just getting started.'
- On Selection Sunday, Huskies' only worries are where they're going and who they're playing
Eddie Stansberry was held to 3 points despite entering the matchup as the Rainbow Warriors’ leading scorer at 12 points per game. He hit 20 percent from behind the arc (1 of 5).
The Anteaters improve to 2-0 against the Rainbow Warriors on the season. UC Irvine defeated Hawaii 75-74 on Jan. 23. UC Irvine faces UC Santa Barbara at home next Saturday. Hawaii plays Cal Poly at home on Thursday.
For more AP college basketball coverage: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and http://twitter.com/AP_Top25
This was generated by Automated Insights, http://www.automatedinsights.com/ap, using data from STATS LLC, https://www.stats.com