NEW YORK (AP) — “The Girl from Ipanema” has won a gold medal in music streaming following the opening ceremony of the Summer Olympics.
Spotify says the song was streamed more than 40,000 times a day after the Olympics kicked off Friday night in Rio de Janeiro. It is 1,200 percent rise for the track, which was typically streamed about 3,000 times a day before the Olympics, the streaming service said.
Supermodel Gisele Bundchen walked onstage during the opening ceremony while “The Girl from Ipanema” played. The Grammy-winning song was released in 1964.
Antonio Carlos Jobim wrote the song as a tribute to a girl he fell in love with as she left Ipanema Beach, one of Rio’s iconic beaches. It is arguably Brazil’s most recognizable song internationally.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Quarterback play a mixed bag as Seahawks lose to Steelers to open preseason play
- What to watch for when Seahawks take on Steelers in preseason game
- UW All-Pac-12 left tackle Jaxson Kirkland to miss season opener as condition of NCAA reinstatement
- With lineup at full strength, Mariners cruise to a drama-free win vs. the Rangers
- Unheralded UW QB Michael Penix Jr. has plenty of experience in Kalen DeBoer's system