SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Megan Huff scored 18 of her 24 points in the second half and No. 21 Utah celebrated its first appearance in The AP Top 25 in nearly 11 years with an 87-74 victory over California on Friday night.
Kiana Moore added 18 points, Dre’una Edwards 15 and Dru Gylten 11 for the Utes (17-1, 6-1 Pac-12), who won their fifth straight. The Utes, who shot 53 percent, made their Top 25 season debut this week, the first time in the rankings since 2008 when they finished No. 18 in the final poll. Utah is off to its best start in program history.
Huff, the Utes’ leading scorer at nearly 20 points a game, scored the first 10 points of the second half. Utah led by 17 midway through the third period before Cal rallied with a 13-5 run with eight points from Anigwe to trail 62-53. A 3-point play by Niyah Becker put Utah ahead by 12 with five minutes left in the game and the lead remained in double figures.
Utah led 44-36 at halftime behind 12 points from Moore and 11 by Edwards. Cal opened the game on a 12-4 run before being outscored 19-6 the rest of the period.
Most Read Sports Stories
- John Stockton’s defiance of COVID-19 mask mandate forces Gonzaga to suspend Hall of Famer’s season tickets
- Superstar Breanna Stewart leaving Seattle in free agency would send the Storm back to mediocrity
- Pittsburgh LB and team captain Cam Bright announces graduate transfer to UW Huskies
- Mariners mailbag: What could M's get for Taylor Trammell, Luis Torrens or Jake Fraley in a trade?
- New Mexico running back Aaron Dumas announces transfer to UW Huskies
Kristine Anigwe scored 24 points, 12 from the free-throw line, with 15 rebounds for the Golden Bears (12-6, 3-4). She has a double-double in every game this season and 19 straight dating to last season. CJ West added 12 points and Asha Thomas 11.