BOSTON (AP) — Home plate umpire Chris Segal is remaining in the game after getting hit in the head by Josh Donaldson’s bat in a game between the Blue Jays and Red Sox.
Donaldson was the third batter in the game Monday night at Fenway Park. He took a swing at a pitch from Red Sox starter Eduardo Rodriguez and lost the handle on his bat. It flew behind him and hit Segal on the top of the head, and the umpire crumpled to the ground.
Boston catcher Christian Vazquez tried to help him to his feet, but Segal went back to the ground and remained there until the training staff came running out.
After a few minutes, Segal was smiling. Segal, who was wearing a mask and a baseball cap but no helmet, remained in the game.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Mariners' Ty France hopes to avoid IL after injuring left arm in collision at first base
- Seattle sees three of its standouts go in first round of NBA draft, starting with Paolo Banchero at No. 1
- This may be the 'biggest' recruiting week in UW football history. Can the Huskies cash in?
- US coach makes dramatic rescue of artistic swimmer at worlds
- Despite report that Seahawks have 'high-level of interest' in Baker Mayfield, waiting game continues
Donaldson struck out swinging.