Veteran King County council member Pete von Reichbauer says the non-applications by groups in the Sodo District, Tukwila and Bellevue signal it’s time for arena proponents to “come together” and pool their resources.

Share story

At least one local politician said the lack of any Seattle area applications for an NHL expansion team Monday is “good news” for the region.

Veteran King County council member Pete von Reichbauer says the non-applications by groups in the Sodo District, Tukwila and Bellevue signal it’s time for arena proponents to “come together” and pool their resources.

The region’s final shot at an expansion bid before the league-mandated deadline Monday ended when Connecticut investment banker Ray Bartoszek declined to seek an expansion team to play in his proposed Tukwila arena.

“Seattle would make a great hockey region, I’m convinced of it,’’ von Reichbauer said. “What this could do is serve as a catalyst for these groups to join forces and combine what each of them has.’’

Most Read Sports Stories

Unlimited Digital Access: $1 for 4 weeks

Von Reichbauer, whose constituency neighbors Tukwila, has been critical of the Sodo arena project pushed by Chris Hansen. Friday, a source confirmed that Hansen’s would-be NHL partner, Los Angeles entrepreneur Victor Coleman, had changed his mind late last week about submitting an application.

Also last Friday, The Seattle Times reported — after interviews and documents obtained through a public-records request — that a Bellevue arena and NHL effort had been abandoned about 10 days ago. In that case, longtime NHL “power broker” Jac Sperling had gone to Bellevue representing a group of potential NHL owners, but he and an Arizona company controlling proposed arena land could not secure adequate funding to get the venue built.

Groups from Quebec City and Las Vegas did submit $10 million applications — $2 million of which is nonrefundable — to the league before the deadline. But there was said to be no application from a group looking to bring a second NHL team to Toronto, despite heavy expectations of one materializing.

The NHL had no comment on the developments Monday in what appears to be a setback of sorts for the league’s expansion vision. NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman has expressed keen interest in the Seattle area and spoke optimistically of using expansion to put two more teams out west to address the current 16-14 imbalance in conference teams.

But Monday gave him neither result.

The NHL says this process is only consultative and that groups submitting applications aren’t guaranteed franchises.

The NHL is expected to seek expansion fees of $500 million per team. That combined with the $500 million cost of building an arena appears to have chased all three Seattle area groups from bidding.

Coleman’s decision not to bid was said to have resulted from an inability to reach an “NHL first” financial deal with Hansen that would be profitable for both, given the combined billion-dollar price tag on an arena and team.

A source within the Bartoszek camp said Monday that same billion-dollar cost for the team and arena also was behind its choice not to bid. That same source indicated a few weeks ago that applying for the team was a foregone conclusion within the group.

“We’re way ahead of that,’’ the source had said.

Bartoszek at the time was said to be close to announcing additional investors for his project. But that additional money never materialized — at least in public — and it’s unclear whether Bartoszek ever secured needed funding.

Documents released by Tukwila in May after a public-records request by The Seattle Times showed Bartoszek had been in negotiations as recently as February with Hollywood producer Thomas Tull. Those talks had been ongoing for months, but Tull ultimately chose not to invest.

A different source said Bartoszek has told investors he is putting $100 million of his own money into the project and has secured some financing from Citibank.

Bartoszek declined requests for an interview, but his camp insisted Monday he continues to work toward building the Tukwila arena. It’s long been said by Bartoszek’s camp that it feels it will draw the needed money to seek out teams once it has a committed arena project.

Tukwila spokeswoman Rachel Bianchi said Monday the city has no comment on Bartoszek’s decision not to apply for an NHL team. But Bianchi added the city remains committed to finalizing an environmental-impact statement on the proposed Tukwila arena project within six to 12 months — which would take the process no later than next May.

Hansen’s proposed Sodo arena faces a likely Seattle City Council vote later this year on his request that a street be removed. If that passes — and the vote is expected to be far more contentious than the Tukwila process — he could have his EIS finished and master-use permit approved by next March.

Von Reichbauer insists our region’s dreams of an arena and hockey team didn’t die with Monday’s results. Indeed, he added, with the NHL having yet to commit to expanding elsewhere, it’s time for the area’s efforts to strengthen.

“All these groups competing doesn’t make a whole lot of sense,’’ he said. “You’ve got one group (Sodo) with an arena plan for basketball, but not hockey. Another (in Bellevue) with a real solid NHL guy (Sperling) who could bring a team but needs an arena.

“Then you’ve got Ray Bartoszek who might get an arena (in Tukwila) but needs money for the NHL team he wants. You need some of these guys to get together and figure out something that makes sense.’’