A list of 38 domain names, covering 13 potential team names was registered this week to the Oak View Group. So are these the finalists for a potential Seattle hockey team name?
Seattle doesn’t have a hockey team … yet. But that doesn’t mean it’s too early to speculate on a potential team name.
The NHL is expected in coming months to make a franchise announcement regarding Seattle. And after the city council approved a $660 million renovation to KeyArena, backed by Tim Leiweke and the Oak View Group, the question of an NHL team coming to Seattle seems more like a “when”, rather than an “if”.
We’ve speculated on the pressing question, and asked for reader feedback, with an impressive number of unique ideas, including favorites such as Seattle Freeze, Seattle Cascades and Seattle Steelheads. But we might have just gotten a glimpse of the final batch of names, thanks to blogger and internet sleuth Clark Rasmussen, who discovered 38 domain names — covering 13 different possible names — all registered this week to Oak View Group’s Christina Song.
Here’s the list:
Most Read Sports Stories
- Analysis: Jon Wilner projects the 2022 Pac-12 North and South division football races
- Seahawks DC candidate list up to 4 as they reportedly request to interview Joe Whitt Jr.
- Seahawks part ways with defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. Here's who they could hire to replace him
- Kraken's new team dog already a big hit with players and coaches
- Speculation has started, but here's why it doesn't make sense for Seahawks and Russell Wilson to split
Seattle Sea Lions
“Does this mean that one of the 13 names is certain to take the ice for the NHL’s 2020-21 season? No. The franchise hasn’t even been applied for yet,” Rasmussen notes. “The ownership group hasn’t even been formed (though names that might be involved have been tossed around). There is the distinct possibility that this is nothing. That said, someone so close to the process applying for so many related domains is worth noting.”
Which of the 13 names are you most intrigued by?