Greg Scott scored the winner for Seattle, a short-handed effort on a two-on-one break, as the Thunderbirds rallied for a 6-4 win over the...
KELOWNA, B.C. — Greg Scott scored the winner for Seattle, a short-handed effort on a two-on-one break, as the Thunderbirds rallied for a 6-4 win over the Kelowna Rockets in a WHL playoff Tuesday.
The best-of-seven series is now tied 2-2.
The Rockets jumped out to a quick lead, scoring twice on five shots and prompting Seattle bench boss Rob Sumner to pull starter Jacob De Serres.
Seattle played smooth hockey from there on out, scoring four straight goals to pull ahead 4-2 after two periods.
Most Read Stories
- Washington state lawmakers make speedy move to shield their records from the public
- ‘Suddenly there is a Confederate flag flying’ in Seattle’s Greenwood area – well, not quite
- Report: Washington state home to one of the largest cells of notorious white supremacist group WATCH
- KFC scrambles its name as it issues a 3-letter apology for its U.K. chicken crisis
- With former Husky Marcus Peters traded to the Rams, why were the Seahawks reportedly not interested?
Bud Holloway, David Richard (with his fourth postseason goal), Thomas Hickey, Jan Eberle and Lindsay Nielsen also scored for Seattle.
Scott, however, broke the deadlock by burying a hard, short-handed wrister at 8:16 of the third. Nielsen closed out the scoring into an empty net.
THUNDERBIRDS 6, ROCKETS 4
First — 1. Kelowna, B. Leavold (3) (C. Long, J.
Benn) 0:25; 2. Kelowna, J. Benn (2) (C. Long, T. Barrie) 4:38 PP; 3.
Seattle, B. Holloway (1) (T. Hickey) 11:29 PP; 4. Seattle, D. Richard
(4) (I. McKenzie, P. Rai) 15:41 PP. Second — 5. Seattle, T. Hickey (1) (I. McKenzie, B. Holloway) 10:58 PP; 6. Seattle, J. Eberle (1) (I. McKenzie, J. Boyer) 18:36. Third — 8. Kelowna, K. St. Denis (1) 7:12 PS; 9. Seattle, G. Scott (2) 8:16 SH; 10. Seattle, L. Nielsen (1) 19:58 EN. A — 5,186. Shots — Seattle 5-11-6 — 22; Kelowna 11-8-7 — 26. Power plays — Seattle 3-5. Kelowna 1-8. Goaltenders — Seattle, DeSerres, SV: 3 GA: 2; Helenius, SV: 19 GA: 2. Kelowna, Westblom SV: 16 GA: 5.
|Best-of-seven Western Hockey League playoff series between Seattle and Kelowna; series is tied 2-2|
|1||Kelowna 3, at Seattle 2|
|2||Kelowna 3, at Seattle 1|
|3||Seattle 3, at Kelowna 2|
|4||Seattle 6, at Kelowna 4|
|* If necessary|