Greg Scott scored the winner for Seattle, a short-handed effort on a two-on-one break, as the Thunderbirds rallied for a 6-4 win over the...
KELOWNA, B.C. — Greg Scott scored the winner for Seattle, a short-handed effort on a two-on-one break, as the Thunderbirds rallied for a 6-4 win over the Kelowna Rockets in a WHL playoff Tuesday.
The best-of-seven series is now tied 2-2.
The Rockets jumped out to a quick lead, scoring twice on five shots and prompting Seattle bench boss Rob Sumner to pull starter Jacob De Serres.
Seattle played smooth hockey from there on out, scoring four straight goals to pull ahead 4-2 after two periods.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Co-defensive coordinator Jimmy Lake staying at Washington, with a smile on his face | Matt Calkins
- 'You mean the nicest guy in camp': Evan White is the future at first base for the Mariners
- Three impressions from UW's 72-70 win at WSU: Huskies are close to locking up the Pac-12 title WATCH
- Huskies stage furious rally in second half to spurn Cougars' upset bid VIEW
- Seahawks' defensive line has a few big question marks entering offseason but a lot of options to choose from | 2019 position analysis
Bud Holloway, David Richard (with his fourth postseason goal), Thomas Hickey, Jan Eberle and Lindsay Nielsen also scored for Seattle.
Scott, however, broke the deadlock by burying a hard, short-handed wrister at 8:16 of the third. Nielsen closed out the scoring into an empty net.
THUNDERBIRDS 6, ROCKETS 4
First — 1. Kelowna, B. Leavold (3) (C. Long, J.
Benn) 0:25; 2. Kelowna, J. Benn (2) (C. Long, T. Barrie) 4:38 PP; 3.
Seattle, B. Holloway (1) (T. Hickey) 11:29 PP; 4. Seattle, D. Richard
(4) (I. McKenzie, P. Rai) 15:41 PP. Second — 5. Seattle, T. Hickey (1) (I. McKenzie, B. Holloway) 10:58 PP; 6. Seattle, J. Eberle (1) (I. McKenzie, J. Boyer) 18:36. Third — 8. Kelowna, K. St. Denis (1) 7:12 PS; 9. Seattle, G. Scott (2) 8:16 SH; 10. Seattle, L. Nielsen (1) 19:58 EN. A — 5,186. Shots — Seattle 5-11-6 — 22; Kelowna 11-8-7 — 26. Power plays — Seattle 3-5. Kelowna 1-8. Goaltenders — Seattle, DeSerres, SV: 3 GA: 2; Helenius, SV: 19 GA: 2. Kelowna, Westblom SV: 16 GA: 5.
|Best-of-seven Western Hockey League playoff series between Seattle and Kelowna; series is tied 2-2|
|1||Kelowna 3, at Seattle 2|
|2||Kelowna 3, at Seattle 1|
|3||Seattle 3, at Kelowna 2|
|4||Seattle 6, at Kelowna 4|
|* If necessary|