Greg Scott scored the winner for Seattle, a short-handed effort on a two-on-one break, as the Thunderbirds rallied for a 6-4 win over the...
KELOWNA, B.C. — Greg Scott scored the winner for Seattle, a short-handed effort on a two-on-one break, as the Thunderbirds rallied for a 6-4 win over the Kelowna Rockets in a WHL playoff Tuesday.
The best-of-seven series is now tied 2-2.
The Rockets jumped out to a quick lead, scoring twice on five shots and prompting Seattle bench boss Rob Sumner to pull starter Jacob De Serres.
Seattle played smooth hockey from there on out, scoring four straight goals to pull ahead 4-2 after two periods.
Most Read Stories
- The five priciest Seattle-area homes last year sold for a combined $113M. Four went to mystery buyers. VIEW
- Special sunglasses, license-plate dresses: How to be anonymous in the age of surveillance WATCH
- Snohomish County elementary school teacher found dead from hypothermia
- New software flaw could further delay Boeing’s 737 MAX
- At gun-rights rally, Washington state Rep. Matt Shea gives fiery defense, talks of nation's 'real enemies' VIEW
Bud Holloway, David Richard (with his fourth postseason goal), Thomas Hickey, Jan Eberle and Lindsay Nielsen also scored for Seattle.
Scott, however, broke the deadlock by burying a hard, short-handed wrister at 8:16 of the third. Nielsen closed out the scoring into an empty net.
THUNDERBIRDS 6, ROCKETS 4
First — 1. Kelowna, B. Leavold (3) (C. Long, J.
Benn) 0:25; 2. Kelowna, J. Benn (2) (C. Long, T. Barrie) 4:38 PP; 3.
Seattle, B. Holloway (1) (T. Hickey) 11:29 PP; 4. Seattle, D. Richard
(4) (I. McKenzie, P. Rai) 15:41 PP. Second — 5. Seattle, T. Hickey (1) (I. McKenzie, B. Holloway) 10:58 PP; 6. Seattle, J. Eberle (1) (I. McKenzie, J. Boyer) 18:36. Third — 8. Kelowna, K. St. Denis (1) 7:12 PS; 9. Seattle, G. Scott (2) 8:16 SH; 10. Seattle, L. Nielsen (1) 19:58 EN. A — 5,186. Shots — Seattle 5-11-6 — 22; Kelowna 11-8-7 — 26. Power plays — Seattle 3-5. Kelowna 1-8. Goaltenders — Seattle, DeSerres, SV: 3 GA: 2; Helenius, SV: 19 GA: 2. Kelowna, Westblom SV: 16 GA: 5.
|Best-of-seven Western Hockey League playoff series between Seattle and Kelowna; series is tied 2-2|
|1||Kelowna 3, at Seattle 2|
|2||Kelowna 3, at Seattle 1|
|3||Seattle 3, at Kelowna 2|
|4||Seattle 6, at Kelowna 4|
|* If necessary|