Greg Scott scored the winner for Seattle, a short-handed effort on a two-on-one break, as the Thunderbirds rallied for a 6-4 win over the...
KELOWNA, B.C. — Greg Scott scored the winner for Seattle, a short-handed effort on a two-on-one break, as the Thunderbirds rallied for a 6-4 win over the Kelowna Rockets in a WHL playoff Tuesday.
The best-of-seven series is now tied 2-2.
The Rockets jumped out to a quick lead, scoring twice on five shots and prompting Seattle bench boss Rob Sumner to pull starter Jacob De Serres.
Seattle played smooth hockey from there on out, scoring four straight goals to pull ahead 4-2 after two periods.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Instant analysis: Three impressions from No. 25 UW Huskies' loss to No. 12 Oregon
- After loss to Oregon, the 2019 season will be a disappointment for Huskies no matter what
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- MLB's proposed shakeup of minor leagues leaves AquaSox's future with Mariners in doubt
- After UW offense dominates for three quarters, the Huskies 'hit a wall' in crushing loss to Oregon
Bud Holloway, David Richard (with his fourth postseason goal), Thomas Hickey, Jan Eberle and Lindsay Nielsen also scored for Seattle.
Scott, however, broke the deadlock by burying a hard, short-handed wrister at 8:16 of the third. Nielsen closed out the scoring into an empty net.
THUNDERBIRDS 6, ROCKETS 4
First — 1. Kelowna, B. Leavold (3) (C. Long, J.
Benn) 0:25; 2. Kelowna, J. Benn (2) (C. Long, T. Barrie) 4:38 PP; 3.
Seattle, B. Holloway (1) (T. Hickey) 11:29 PP; 4. Seattle, D. Richard
(4) (I. McKenzie, P. Rai) 15:41 PP. Second — 5. Seattle, T. Hickey (1) (I. McKenzie, B. Holloway) 10:58 PP; 6. Seattle, J. Eberle (1) (I. McKenzie, J. Boyer) 18:36. Third — 8. Kelowna, K. St. Denis (1) 7:12 PS; 9. Seattle, G. Scott (2) 8:16 SH; 10. Seattle, L. Nielsen (1) 19:58 EN. A — 5,186. Shots — Seattle 5-11-6 — 22; Kelowna 11-8-7 — 26. Power plays — Seattle 3-5. Kelowna 1-8. Goaltenders — Seattle, DeSerres, SV: 3 GA: 2; Helenius, SV: 19 GA: 2. Kelowna, Westblom SV: 16 GA: 5.
|Best-of-seven Western Hockey League playoff series between Seattle and Kelowna; series is tied 2-2|
|1||Kelowna 3, at Seattle 2|
|2||Kelowna 3, at Seattle 1|
|3||Seattle 3, at Kelowna 2|
|4||Seattle 6, at Kelowna 4|
|* If necessary|