Both teams had strong pitching and reliable hitting to piece together storybook seasons.
Class 4A state champions Woodinville (softball) and Puyallup (baseball) also finished ranked among the nation’s best in a pair of postseason polls.
“We’re the team that everybody’s rooting against,” said Puyallup coach Marc Wiese after beating Kentlake in the championship game at Safeco Field in May. “When you’re pretty good, that’s what you want and I love that feeling. Hopefully we can continue those things.”
Most Read Sports Stories
- Has Shane Waldron solved Pete Carroll's desired balance between an explosive Seahawks offense and establishing the run?
- Analysis: What we learned from Seahawks minicamp
- Mitch Haniger delivers winning run for Mariners on first pitch in bottom of 10th inning
- Mariners put together an impressive all-around effort to top high-riding Rays, 5-1
- Bucks edge Nets in OT in Game 7, withstand Durant's 48