Metro coaches had tougher time picking Defensive Player of the Year, giving the honor to trio of Rainier Beach guards Grace Williams and NiRae Petty and Bishop Blanchet forward Jadyn Bush.
Lakeside senior Kallin Spiller was named Metro League girls basketball MVP. The 6-foot-3 forward is a two-sport star, leading the Lions to their first Class 3A volleyball state title last fall and earning the league MVP award, too.
Spiller, who was a Star Times volleyball pick, will go on to play both sports at Seattle University.
Bishop Blanchet went undefeated in league play, earning Brett Hecko the league Coach of the Year honor in his first season with the team. Metro coaches couldn’t decide who was toughest to score against, naming Rainier Beach guards Grace Williams and NiRae Petty and Blanchet forward Jaydn Bush as Defensive Players of the Year.
Here’s the full list of honorees:
Most Read Sports Stories
- UW Huskies overcome significant absences and disappearing offense to top Cal in overtime
- Seahawks defense 'threw everything' at Vikings in loss, faces a long flight home now at 1-2
- The Huskies sweated out a thrilling OT win over Cal. But far too many questions remain.
- Three things we learned from the Seahawks' 30-17 loss to the Vikings in Week 3
- Seahawks-Vikings GameCenter: Live updates, highlights, how to watch, stream
Most Valuable Player
Kallin Spiller, Lakeside
Jadyn Bush, Blanchet
Chinwe Ezeonu, Seattle Prep
Juanita Agosto, Garfield
NiRae Petty, Rainier Beach
Rachel Francisco, Holy Names
Sammaiyah Tolliver, Garfield
Labrea Denson, Chief Sealth
Karmelah Dean, Roosevelt
Giavanni Flowers, Cleveland
Jazz Gayles, West Seattle
Grace Williams, Rainier Beach
Dalayah Daniels, Rainier Beach
Kelly Keene, Lakeside
Sydney Thomas, Chief Sealth
Grace Sarver, West Seattle
Coach of the Year
Brett Hecko, Blanchet
Defensive Player of the Year
Grace Williams, NiRae Petty, Jadyn Bush